AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, good or bad, for those of us who have read and participated in the AVS forums, I think the knowledge gained herein can actually affect a person's life in a number of ways, and I'm curious how it has done so for my fellow members.

For myself, when I joined AVS I knew what an HDMI cable did, what the difference between 1080p and 1080i was, that there were 2 competing HD formats in the "war", how to hook up a HTIB, BOSE sounded the best of any home audio
, monster cables are worth the money
, and what a PS3, XBOX 360 could / could not do. That was basically it for my Hi Definition and "AVS" science knowledge.

Now? Now I find myself discussing crossover frequencies, lossless sound, how to make a DVD player region free, the best home theater sound for under $1000 bucks (receiver NOT included), and spending much, much more money then I ever thought possible on HD / BD discs, speakers, and players, and loving every minute of it.

More than anything though, setting up components used to be a chore, now it makes me grin from ear to ear.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Before I got on here I had never heard of Amazon.com. I have learned about, but still truly dont understand, things like avc, mpeg, dts, and many other weird initial things. I mostly visit this site for release dates and special deals and useful information of that sort.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
It does give me something to do while I am waiting for the PC's and network I support to do what I actually tell them to do, you know the faster they get, the slower they are. Otherwise? Just a lot more twiddling of my thumbs would be involved without AVS.

I have learned a decent amount, I also hope I have given back in exchange for that knowledge.

Good point to the above poster... My knowledge of abbreviations has gotten much broader.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Knowledge and good deals.I fell in love with the pictures of home theaters but as I read and joined the knowledge that helped me make a DIY screen,Select a format,projectors and people helping with tweaking and calibrations.I love going into the electronic stores and listen to them try to tell me something that I already know and 90% of it I got from this forum.It mainly helped he to not get got.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I came here originally in my HDTV research, ended up getting help with a receiver purchase, surround speakers, and of course a PS3.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I learned a great deal while I was building my own theater (had never run across monoprice, ended up building my own screen, went purple, etc) and I like helping out others when I can with things I have run into. But the biggest thing that I have learned from this site is that I need a raise to afford everything i want!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I enjoy the interaction with people. In some areas they are a lot more knowledgeable than myself. Asking questions and challenging people (even people I agree with) as to why they say things helps me learn. I also find it very rewarding sharing information with others about my areas of expertise.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Originally I came here looking for advice regarding a receiver issue. Then I moved to the RP HDTV's, then stumbled across the HD DVD and Blu-Ray area. Its been very interesting. Like other posters, I have gleamed a lot, and finding a place like monoprice was great. I plan on continuing coming here for advice, especially when I start my dedicated Theater Room in the next few years.

And of course to keep up with the "war", even if it seems to be winding down now. Time will tell.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, I am sure a lot less productive at work. Although, I am also bringing my coworkers into the wonderful world of High Definition. This site has provided me with a wealth of information, and has taught me a lot. I have a love-hate relationship with AVS because i am now an addict and spend way too much time here.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/12960757

How do I count the ways? In a nut shell it has allowed me to build ten times the theater at half the cost. I've met tons of vitual friends who are real friends now. It has allowed me to make a love of mine and a dream of mine to come true while making it into a hobby at the same time.

Art

agreed... avs has saved me quite a bit of money (on one hand) and cost me quite a bit on the other.

still people are amazed at my setup for the price i paid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
AVS gave me the advice I needed to buy my TV, Speakers, Receiver, PS3, Wiring, and best room setup. I also enjoy the discussions.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
It taught me that money DOES indeed buy you happiness. I drool over all the expensive toys I can't own.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I came here reading reviews of a TV I already bought
and now I am on my 6th main display in 12 months
and have bought a few smaller ones

I love/hate this place

·
Registered
242 Posts
I came here for flat panel HDTV research, then registered after I got an A2 on Wal-Mart on "that day", which probably broke some visit records at AVS.

The format war has sucked me in to the point I check this site out daily.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Well I have spent ALOT of money since learning about this site.

I have the home theater I always wanted, but it will never stop. Upgrades will always be taking place.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I can now divide by zero. I have gained a psuedo insider status that sees my word trusted more than some people with actual insider status.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have been a member since 2004, found the site by googling the tv I wanted to buy (Panasonic 47x54) great tv by the way and still have it. Well the information I received that day and the recommendations I got to get the tv were great and I have been hooked since. I am a PC/Network tech so I am familiar with the pc end of things. I was also convinced that Bose, Monster brands were the best because it cost more until this forum enlightened me. I did not know anything about Digital Coax or Optical, DVI, HDMI, speaker wire etc. I have come a long way from those composite is best days. I now educate my co-workers and they also seek my advice on things like HDMI etc.

Thanks AVS for the education.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
i have gained knowledge on just about every field in this forum now it has become

somewhat of an addiction, thanks to all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
AVS has made me appreciate my audio video hobby to the fullest, as never before, with the wealth of knowledge I have acquired from others via this forum. Apart from this, I actually find reading the posts very enjoyable indeed!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts