AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rom is about 7'10 in height [basement] 92 diagonol screen, just trying to guess on mounting local so i can start running speaker wire etc before deywall. Is the eyes 1/3 up form bottum of screen a good rule of thumb? Any ideas apreciated.

TIA

asr

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
That is the rule of thumb most people follow...1/3 up from bottom.

·
Registered
267 Posts
start at 1/3 and tweak from there. for example, if you have recliners you might want to go higher since you'll be looking higher when reclined. also if you have a second row of seating on a riser you might want to go higher to reduce the riser height.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Also between 10-20 degrees viewing height is a good range to aim for.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The are lots of factors that come into play, including the projector, screen, room setup, personal preference, etc... Do you know what equipment you are planning?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My eyes are about the middle of the screen. I just find it more comfortable when watching. I don't have to do a lot looking up (or down).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4805 with a stewert greywolf screen. about 12 feet back for pj, seating right about 13 feet, 7'10 ceiling. I have not yet worked out exact seating..i am finishing the basement, so i couldnt say exactly what i will be sitting on. What ever we find on sale at a furniture store :)

Any input apreciuated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does not need to be fluch mounted. I can mount however i want. Just cant go back more then 14'..but that would be out of range for 92 diagonal anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I also like having my eyes dead centered on the screen. I get one of those behind the eye headaches if I have to look up, even slightly, for a couple hours.

If you can, try projecting onto a wall, hang a sheet, or pick up some cheap "black out cloth" at a fabric store. It doesn't have to be perfect. Watch a movie, and decide where you like it best. 1/3 is the rule of thumb, but there are enough people that have alternate setups that I think it may be worth trying yourself before committing.

If that isn't an option, think about where you sit in the movie theater. In your typical stadium seating, where do you sit and where does that put your eyes relative to the screen? I personally think the lower the throw ratio (sitting close to a big screen), the more people will prefer to have their eyes centered.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Critical factor is the vertical offset. I was serious about an Optoma H27 until I discovered that it had over 50 degrees of offset. Since I am going to do ceiling mount, that would have put the bottom of the image near the floor. Check out this review because it has a good discussion. I am now split between an Optoma H31 and an InFocus SP4805.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/480p_projectors.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.