AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the only chip right now that's at 800 MHz FSB is the 3.0 GHz P4. But they're supposedly coming out with a 2.6 GHz as well. Anyone know the heat generation profiles of these chips? Are they much hotther than the 533 MHz FSB variety?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would imagine that they will be about 10% warmer. Perhaps somewhere in the range of an Athlon processor. I think that the largest problem will become case heat and ventilation. The North Bridge will start pumping out a lot of heat at these speeds.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
They are coming out with a 2.4, 2.6 and a 2.8 and the new 3.2 in about 2-3 weeks. Heat wise- don't know, they are still using the same mfg process as the 533mhz cores so heat production should be the same, maybe more.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Mine runs at about 38C when the ambient temp is 20C. When it's thinking really hard, it can go up to 47C or so.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcruse
I realize the only chip right now that's at 800 MHz FSB is the 3.0 GHz P4. But they're supposedly coming out with a 2.6 GHz as well. Anyone know the heat generation profiles of these chips? Are they much hotther than the 533 MHz FSB variety?
jcruse,

Good question - it's just the thing one needs to know when deciding the specs of an HTPC.

The added capability of an 800 MHz FSB has to be balanced with the additional heat generated, and hence the additional

cooling requirement.

One also needs to know what the additional memory bandwidth can do in terms of improved capability.

Obviously, if there's no benefit to the increased bandwidth, then one is merely increasing heat production, and hence the

cooling fan noise for zero benefit.

Does anyone have some good insights as to what one can do with an 800 MHz FSB that one can't do with the 533 MHz?

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb cpu runs at about 32C idle using a zalman cooler and about 42C at 100% cpu usage. Hardly a concern, plus the zalman cooler is ultra quiet.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
If you overclock to higher FSB, expect your Northbridge to produce more heat. I wonder how much of difference there is when running ffdshow between a 3.06 533 vs. 3.0 800.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ran a 3.06ghz 533 just before I stuck in the 3.0ghz 800 and the 533 actually ran at about the same temp.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
At the same cpu speed, a faster fsb doesn't really affect the processor temperature, but it will increase your ram and northbridge temperatures.

As for how hot the P4 3.0 runs, it puts out 82W. Realistically, keeping it cool (

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.