AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The safety instruction on my soon-to-arrive SR607 call for 8" of space above, 4" behind. Also, all shelves above it should be 4" from the wall to create a "flue".

I am placing this in an open-rack bookshelf (no sides). The shelves run up the left side of the wall, in a corner, so I'm putting the unit on the right end of the shelf (open space on the right). I can afford about 4" (maybe 6") of space above, and 3-4" behind (which, of course, is somewhat occupied by cables). The shelves above it are about 0.5" from the wall.

Most of the time, the receiver will be putting out low listening volumes (no rocking the house), into small, high-sensitivity (87-88db) bookshelf-size speakers. I.e., it won't be working that hard.

Do I need to take more serious measures? Or do they put the same verbage in their behemoths as in the manual for this mid-size (90w/ch) unit.

Thanks!

/j

PS - Some people mention using small PC cooling fans. I can do this, but I'm curious how you power them...

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have theTX-SR706. It is installed in an open rack with about 3" between the top of the 706 and the shelf above. The rack is open on all 4 sides.

I can watch multiple movies in a row played back at -20 to -16 dB on my volume knob (which is quite loud in my room), and I can rest my hand comfortably on the top of the 706 at the end of the last movie. YMMV.

More info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136584

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
If your'e concerned about cooling due to space limitations go over to coolerguys.com and look in there home theater section on cooling. They have a good selection of cooling fans and kits that will do what you need thats really inexpensive for what you are protecting. Its worth the money. I'm using a 120 mm case fan on Onkyo 876 that stays on most of the time. Even after a full night of use it barely gets warm. Same thing during the day with music listening at sometimes high volumes. They come with everything you need to get it up and running.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the Onkyo will be totally open on 2 of 6 sides (front, right side), and 6" on the top, 3" in the back. I think it's significantly less powerful than your units?

I'll check that website - thanks!

Although my first line of defense was going to be a 3.2" PC cooling fan attached to an old 12V AC Adapter. Do I need much more? (although i suppose i could use this: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088417.html I think my HdTivo has a usb port)

Dude - that SR 607 thread runs 51 pages - any hints on where to look for heat discussion?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 /forum/post/18150163

the Onkyo will be totally open on 2 of 6 sides (front, right side), and 6" on the top, 3" in the back. I think it's significantly less powerful than your units?

I'll check that website - thanks!

Although my first line of defense was going to be a 3.2" PC cooling fan attached to an old 12V AC Adapter. Do I need much more? (although i suppose i could use this: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088417.html I think my HdTivo has a usb port)

I'd go with this fan (800rpm) and your old 12V adapter. It's the fan they use in the coolerguys kit, and reportedly one of the quieter fans available.

http://www.coolerguys.com/sff21.html

But I'm sure the USB fan would work as well.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My 705 got extremely hot! Not sure how the 07 lines are, but people still say they get pretty hot. I'd say as long as you've got a few inches around it, you'll be fine. I'd probably run 8ohm speakers too. Running 4ohms will heat that baby up a lot more than some 8ohm. I'd also recommend a cooling fan as well. Onkyo or not, all receivers get fairly warm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a 707 for about 2 weeks and it got pretty darn hot just using it for about an hour, and heres the kicker, it was only powering two Klipsch RB-61 bookshelf speakers I use as REAR surrounds, lol. I had the rest of my speakers hooked up to my Emo XPA-3. And for some reason, when I added the 707 to my system it created a nasty ground loop hum. I tried everything to get rid of it, but nothing worked. So I packed it back up and sent her back to amazon, hooked everything up to my older Yamaha and everything was good again, oh and I can run the Yamaha all night and day and it barely even gets luke warm. So I am still searching for a new receiver.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Whenever the space is limited all receivers will get very warm to hot. The solution is a cooling fan on top of the receiver drawing the hot air out. Get the 607 or 707 you want and the fan(s), and don't worry about it. I do believe that the garbage spread on this site and others about Onkyo's running hotter than other brands is just that, garbage. My Yamaha 2600 ran a lot hotter than my Onkyo 876 using the same set-up and it did a lot less processing than the 876 does. Get the AVR you want and if you feel it runs too hot, get the fans.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The following cut and paste from the 705 thread works on the 705 to have the AVR display its internal temperature. Many of the secret button presses work across Onk models so it may work on a 607. Maybe not?

Do so at own risk since I'm not sure what will happen w' the 607.

How do I see the Temperature readout on this receiver?

1) Turn on Receiver

2) HOLD down the "Display" button and press "Standby" button once.

3) Release the "Display" button.

4) Now press the "Tone" button once

5) The temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit will be displayed. These temperatures are being displayed in real time so you can leave this info on display for as long as you want to monitor the receivers temp.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here's a data point from a a 10-year old 55wpc Onkyo DD 5.1 receiver. Watched TV last night for about 3 hrs, mostly Olympics. Volume control was at -28db. There is about 2.5" clearance on top, wide open on the left side (where the vents are) and the back.

I put a thermometer on top about in the middle (I have no idea where the output transistors are). After 3 hrs, the temp was 95F. Room temp was 68-69F. The top felt warm to the touch but not hot. The DVR which sits about 1/4" away read 83F on top. I know from the diagnostics screen that the DVR internal temp is usually around 98F.

I will be getting a Yamaha V765 this week and will do the same test.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 /forum/post/18152647

Interesting - I'll try it when mine shows up - can't do any harm, I think.

What's an acceptable temperature?

Per the service manual for a 705 the fans will come on at medium speed when the internal temp is greater than 55C (131F). The main chip also has a voltage output (internal temp of the chip) that can trigger the fans in concert with the temp.

High fan speed doesn't come on until 65C (149F)

Years past I spoke with an Onk tech and they weren't excited at all with temperatures less than 150F.

Bear in mind that 131F is hot to touch. You could probably withstand holding your hand on something for 4 or 5 seconds at that temp before it became too uncomfortable.

I'm not advising that the Onk high temps are OK, just reporting what I read/heard. "Acceptable" means something different to everyone. To cool or not has been a very hot subject on Onks.

Bear in mind that the above is for a 705. I don't know the specs for a 607.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Interesting I should see this topic just tonight. My 706 has about 3" space top and on both sides, its on the top shelf in a cabinet open at the top and bottom front only. It routinely displayed 60C (140F) temps after about two hours of movie or music, regardless of volume. Then two weeks ago I got an EMO amp (5 channel) and used the Oink to power the surrounds only... it still registered the same temps. I ask elsewhere and was told that even without using the amps the temperatures wouldn't change. Placing a hand on the right top of the 706 was quite hot and very uncomfortable to remain leaving it in contact with the metal top... I'm told the HDMI board is located in this hot-spot area and can be affected by excessive heat (as in causing permanent failure of the board). So to be pro-active I ordered two 120mm fans (800RPM, 44CFM @10dB)and a cheap temp controller from coolerguys.com and finally received them today. I simply placed the fans over the vents on the right side of the receiver and inserted the thermocouple between the fans. Watched a movie and then been listening to music for the last 5 hours and whenever I check the display it reports the temp as hovering around 41C (about 106F). Quite an improvement, and one I can live with.

So I would suggest you keep checking your temp display from time-to-time and take action to actively cool it if it routinely gets above 55C.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Its not in the manual... it suppose to be a 'service secret' I guess. The steps are listed in a post that's 4 above mine. quick review... on the AVR's frontface, depress and hold the "display" button then push the "power/stby" button once and release, then release "display"... now within 2 seconds or so depress "tone" once and you should now see the internal temp displayed. This works on my 606 as well, so I feel sure it will work on your 607 also. Try it out when you get it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks - I was a little wary of trying it since it might do something different on a 6xx vs a 7xx, but if it works on the 606 - should be the same on the 607. I'll try it thanks

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
FYI: I have an Onkyo 606 mounted on the bottom shelf of my TV stand. It only has 2.5" of clearance above it, but is open on all sides. No heat problems in 2 years of operation. If I ever get a cabinet that is somewhat closed, I would use a fan.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
SkiSmuggs....

Our 606 is upstairs... like yours, it's also on the bottom shelf with a glass shelf just 2" above it and the entertainment stand itself is fully open on all sides. My wife likes to have it continuously playing music (Pandora mostly) for 12 hours or more straight throughout the day. The temp display reports mostly around 45C... no active cooling needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.