AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is Antec's characteristic but it seems the PSU in the Sonata case runs fairly warm, or at least the air blowing out feels warm.

I also have Antec SOHO 1080 and the PSU runs warm too. It also has a smell to it but it's fading away slowly. Also, do you add another 120mm fan in the front? I have Vantec 120 Stealth but it's still a bit noisy. If I get rid of the front fan, it's dead quiet.

My existing numbers from MBM are:

Case - 29C

CPU - 34C

CPU is hovering around 10% usage and my HDs are staying at around 35C to 40C. I'm going to try get rid of the front fan and see how it goes.

Thanks for any information you can share,

Simon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Sonata case with just one 120mm fan in the rear. As you probably know you can hook the fans to the power supply such that they vary in speed as thermal load changes. I've done just that.

My numbers are:

48C/118F for the CPU

29/84 for the MB

this is significantly higher than your values but still acceptable.

MRH

·
Registered
594 Posts
My sonata's PSU output is noticeably warmer than the output from my Antec/Chieftec case with an Antec TrueControl 550watt PSU. I have both sets of case fans hooked up to the fan leads from the antec PSU's. Seems to be normal operation.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your information, much appreciated.

I unplugged the front 120mm fan and I'm surprised to find out the motherboard temp stays the same at 29C. However, the 2 HD's gone up to about 41C, slightly higher than before. However, without the front fan, this keeps the case even quieter.

I was reading an article from Antec that they're making a fanless PSU, I wonder if anyone might have more information on it? That sure sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.