AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me respond to a post where someone would not buy a certain front projector until an expected price decline was announced. The advise I am about to post applies to anyone that buys a product at either less-than-lowest-available price, or in which the product is subsequently offered at a lower price. My advise is this…

…you may be entitled to a partial refund from your credit card company if it offers a price protection plan. Call your credit card company and ask. Many of them have that policy embedded free in their coverage, yet surprisingly few consumers are aware of it or use it.

In my case, I use a standard American Express green card. It has a policy (and other credit cards have this as well) to refund the price difference between what I paid for an item, and the lowest price available on the item. That policy continues for 60 days beyond the purchase date, meaning if the price is lowered, Amex will refund the difference to a maximum of $250/item.

Case in point…10 days ago I bought an A/V receiver from a bricks-and-mortar retailer for $720. It was offered on-line from a less-than reputable site for $565. The day after I bought it, I faxed to Amex a copy of the web site’s ad. On Saturday (1 week after I faxed it to Amex), I received an Amex check for $155. I have done this consistently with all my expensive electronic purchases (buying from a bricks and mortar store but receiving internet prices courtesy of Amex), and am approaching the Amex yearly refund cap of $1,000. When I hit the limit, I’ll switch to another card. For details on Amex (and believe me, this is not meant as a push for Amex), see their web site at http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...link=benefits. Again, other cards offer that similar benefit.

So to those of you deferring a purchase in anticipation of an imminent price drop…if you use the right credit card, you can buy today at the prices in effect in 60 days, subject to caps. And if use a bot such as pricewatch.com or some other internet price checking service, you will always receive the lowest price.

So I was thrilled when I read today that Panasonic dropped its price on a PJ I bought just 2 weeks ago by $100. Guess I’ll be getting another $100 check!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
This tends to be only the higher-end cards which you need to pay a fee for. The AMEX blue card used to offer this service, but they stopped at the end of last month.
True, but almost always you can get those annual fees waived with a simple call to the card company.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It has the following limitations:

Purchases must be made in the United States and charged in full on your American Express Card. A refund will not be paid if, on the date of your request, any amount on your Card Account is past due for one or more billing cycle(s) or your Card Account is cancelled. Refunds are limited to $1,000 annually per Card Account. Any items that are purchased from a store that already has an established lowest price guarantee program will not be covered under Best Value Guarantee. Store advertisements which reference a discount on all items does not qualify. For example: An advertisement stating "All store merchandise is 40% off" is not eligible for coverage on a per item basis. Rebate offers are not eligible. This program does not apply to any advertisements dated before your purchase or more than 60 days after your purchase.

Items not covered are: animals and living plants; one-of-a kind items (including antiques, artwork and furs); limited quantity items; items that the advertisement states can be purchased with cash only; demonstration items; going-out-of-business sales items; "discontinued" items; consumable or perishable items with limited life spans (such as, but not limited to perfume, light bulbs, non-rechargeable batteries); jewelry and precious stones; services and additional costs (such as installation charges, warranties, shipping, taxes, or car rentals); rare and precious coins; stamps; used; rebuilt and refurbished items; cellular phones; pagers; tickets of any kind; travelers cheques; motorized vehicles (such as cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, or riding lawn mowers) and their parts; land and buildings; negotiable instruments (such as promissory notes); cash and its equivalent.

If you have any questions regarding the Best Value Guarantee program, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-557-8317.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was looking for a new card and this sounded like a great option. I carry no balance so all I care about are no annual fee and any bonuses they throw in (like this pricing refund). I told the AExpress rep. this and she set me up with the Optima Platinum card. I was told (and read on the website) no annual fee and it has the "best price guarentee" mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Optima Platinum is the best one to use, as Brando2 stated. No annual fee and still has the $250/$1000 price protection.

For those of you who were lucky enough to get a Click Citibank credit card, those have no annual fees, and you can pricematch up to $1000 per item, up to $4000 per year. I'm well over the $1000 mark on mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gabriel, am I correct in interpreting your post that the Click Citibank card $1000/$4000 feature is no longer available to new accounts? If it is still available, where can I find out more info on it?

Thanks.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
My only concern, here, is "If, within 60 days, you find an identical item to the one you just purchased with the Card advertised in print at a lower price than you originally paid ..."and have to ask how many of you would find something 'in print'.

Its one thing to find a consumer product in, say, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. that have regular 'prints', but when was the last time your bought something with a price drop of $125 max. depreciation to qualify for the $250 max. per item?

Last time I checked, none of the HT shops in my neck of the woods had anything 'in print', nor are things typically not acquired locally like a Don Stewart screen. Maybe its good for small stuff, but for $75 I think I'll simply try a little harder up-front.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WanMAn...Amex accepts internet prices on web sites as meeting their "in print" requirement.

All I have had to do is fax Amex a printed quote from a web site. Within 1-2 weeks I have received refund checks for the price difference.

You don't need to believe me; just call them and ask. It may save you a lot of money. It has for me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you're putting together a HTPC, this is a great thing to use. Everyone knows how processors, graphics cards, and most computer related products tend to drop in price rather quickly. You end up saving quite a bit of money.

Another great thing you can do is buy from a merchant you're confident with (for instance, buy from a merchant that supports AVS) and simply pricematch any price difference later. That way, you're sure to get great service, the best price, and help support this forum we spend so much time on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.