AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Dish 6000 for 3.5 years now. Recently the OTA module had gone on the blink. It was just displaying mostly GREEN pixellation on local channels.

I noticed that alot of dust had accumulated on the circuit board due to the fan. I took the module apart by removing the nut on the 75 Ohm connector, removing the screw on the same plate, and removing the metal circuit board cover. I vacuumed off the circuit board very carefully.

Voila! It fixed the problem.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I failed to mention, I left the cover with the fan off when I reassembled the module. So now my OTA module doesn't have the everpresent fan noise.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had at one time fixed a problem with a computer switching power supply by vacuuming the dust out of it. That's what gave me the idea of vacuuming off the dust from this card. There are many high frequency signals on that card that the dust could be interfereing with. The dust also impedes the removal of heat from the chips on the board.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
So let me get this straight, you had the Same Dish 6000 for 3.5 years? Now I know you are making this up. ;)

Seriously, I've been wanting to clean up my 8VSB, but I didn't know to do disassemble it. I didn't try the nut on on the RF connector. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
since the fan is now off, it might be a good idea to identify the chip (s) that is getting hot (ie the reason for the fan) and put a heat sink on it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had my 8VSB module to start pixelatting before because of overheating when the fan was removed. I just reinstalled the fan and it started working. It may have been because of dust that had collected on the chips on the board.

I know you cannot put anything on top of the 6000 when you have the fan removed.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If you also have the 8psk module installed, DO NOT leave the fan out unless you use some form of auxillary cooling, i.e. small fan blowing on the box where the modules are inserted or you will have all kinds of issues. Trust me, been there, done that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay guys maybe this will help me with my OTA problem it just stop working when I hook my antenna up through the 8vsb I get no digital stations picked up and the analog stations that I due pick up don't show anything but noise. When I go straigth to the tv with the antenna the analog channels come in clear. Could this be caused by dust?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had the 6000 for about 3 years and the 8vsb for just about as long. Because of the noise, I immediately removed the 8vsb case top with the fan, and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Richard,

What kind of antenna are you connecting to the 8VSB module?

Have you used the Add Digital menu item to align the antenna with the desired digital station?

What you are describing does not sound like a dust problem. I was getting green pixellation on both analog and digital channels due to dust.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The antenna I'm using is one from Radio Shack can't remember name or number I have used the add digital to no avail I think it may just be the module. Would it be worth it to try and have it repaired? I know they are still asking $150 for a new one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Richard,

If the 8VSB module has dust in it, you should definitely clean it up and try it before you buy another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.