AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sensitive to the rainbow effect, too and my wife is even more sensitive then me.

I've watched several movies on my DLP projector (Mits X30) and rarely saw the rainbow. One night when we started watching MI-2 suddenly I started seeing the rainbow

everywhere, especially often on Barcelona scene.

My wife was complaining she couldn't watch the movie at all.

I tried to figure out what is going on and here is what I found.

MI-2 is a very contrast movie with a lot of bright highlighted objects on black or dark gray backgrounds. That is the

place where rainbows appear most often. We can't change the movie but we can change the setting on projectors.

I quickly recalibrated the projector and lowered the Contract almost three times. Miracle! 99% of all rainbows

disappeared and it only slightly affects the overall brightness of picture.

Here is the solution:

If you see the rainbow on projector were didn't see it before, try to recalibrate it lowering the contrast,

It may help! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's posts like the above one that make this forum so invaluable. I have read many times that high contrast seems to encourage the rainbow artifact. Someone has finally used a little common sense and lowered the contrast. For some this may help - try it! Add to this a powerful scaler (HTPC) or really good pro. scan DVD player and you may find your problem is diminished to an acceptable level.

Sometimes the simple solution is the best one!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you are an HTPC user, it is possible that you may be able to "push a button" on your remote that would lower the contrast just under the "rainbow threshhold".

Of course, you lose contract (duh!), but I would think that if the rainbows are so bad in a movie that you "can't watch it", it sounds like a good idea.

I believe that all of the software DVD players for HTPCs have a contrast setting, for instance. They also have flashable LUTs (Look-Up Table) for how to translate input codes to output codes. Normally used for gamma correction, I wonder if the LUT couldn't be the solution for rainbows on DLPs when an HTPC is involved? Just an idea...

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Interesting that MI2 was the movie that the Yamaha DPX1 performed so poorly on at CES. My wife and I had the same reaction you two did--we thought it so bad the movie was unwatchable. By contrast (no pun intended!) U571 was gorgeous on that projector.

Based on reports on the HT200M, it still appears the RGBRGB wheel is going to deal with rainbow effectively. I'm betting this will be a nonissue in 6 months and all we'll have to deal with is the relatively low light output of

DLP.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.