Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone else also try this out.

The CD is labelled with a "Copy Control" marker. Other than that, I don't know which protection system it's using.

1. Make sure all Auto Insert Notification is disabled.

2. Insert a normal audio CD in the CD drive.

3. Open Winamp and start playback.

4. Goto e.g. track 4

5. Let it play for a couple of seconds and then pause.

6. Insert the copy protected CD

7. Let the drive spin up

8. Unpause the drive

9. Perhaps music from the copy protected CD will start playing. (I used analog audio, and don't have the little cable attached, so I'm not sure)

10. While Winamp is playing back the CD, launch Exact Audio Copy.

11. You should now be able to see rippable tracks.

12. Try extracting one of the tracks.

Some details I'm not sure about is whether you must use the default Winamp CD reader plugin (in_cdda.dll), and/or whether you must use analog audio extraction. I believe I'm using analog currently, with Winamp's in_cdda.dll.

Also disable Winamp's CDDB support in the plugin's configuration options.

Let me hear your experiences.

Alternatively, I believe it should be possible to create a CD with 1 80 minute long track, start playing it and then pause and change CD's. Then resume playback and thus playing back the copy protected CD in the computer CD drive.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of which CDs are protected? I'd like to avoid those.

I also read that taking a felt-tip pen and blackening around the edge will work.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Sounds like a re-hashed, recycled and re-invented rumour. The felt tip around the edge of the CD was an old wives tale about improving the audio quality of CD's. Was false.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I believe the "copycd" program already gets around the copy protection and even does cd-g copies.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What "copy cd" program? Only bought one before I found about this garbage. Funny thing is now that I load all my cd's on my HD, I buy a lot more cd's. Don't file share at all, one reason being I don't want my hd corrupted, what with all that fine music loaded at my fingertips!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by repoman
Funny thing is now that I load all my cd's on my HD, I buy a lot more cd's. Don't file share at all, one reason being I don't want my hd corrupted, what with all that fine music loaded at my fingertips!
Same here - I'm listening to a lot more music, a lot more often since using my HTPC as a music server. The a GUI is a lot quicker and easier than digging for a CD on a shelf. I don't bother with the P2P stuff because I don't want MP3s, just WAVs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
Sounds like a re-hashed, recycled and re-invented rumour. The felt tip around the edge of the CD was an old wives tale about improving the audio quality of CD's. Was false.
...but it works for certain copy-protected cds.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
There's a list here: http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/

Thats alot of cds !?! :mad:

When will they learn? I bought a protected disk, copied it via SPDIF from a stand alone cd player. Made MP3s and shared them with the world just because it pissed me off. I've never shared files before.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mad Chemist - what are the steps necessary to copy using SPDIF from external CD?

I listen to most of my music on my MP3 player - and want the highest quality MP3s - so I'd prefer to make them myself at a very high bit rate.

Rather gun-shy about buying CDs with all this copy protection nonsense I'm hearing about.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lescaudle
Mad Chemist - what are the steps necessary to copy using SPDIF from external CD?
SPDIF out of stand alone CD player into SPDIF in of sound card. Some sort of recording app. I use Cool Edit. Play CD, record song typically as a wav. I think some apps will allow you to record straight to mp3. Pretty simple, just time consuming.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by richardg
How many times has this worked? Has it worked every time you tried it?
My old worn DVD drive has some problems spinning up, so I'm not sure when it's working and when it's not. So untill now, it has worked 2 times.

But:

Due to a clunking sound coming from the DVD drive, sounding like the laser read head banging around in there, I thought "Why not give the tape trick a go...", so I took a piece of tape and added it to the edge of the CD, and the inserted it in my drive, and WOW, all tracks was listed, just as a usual normal CD!

I then tried again with another CD (Sash - S4) and it also worked!

Amazing protection they just spend 4 kazillion $$ on. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.