AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say vacation but there hasn't been much of a vacation this year. Too many program reviews...

The toys:

I got my Panamorph today.

I also bought a Showstopper over the weekend.

The panamorph:

It comes with some description, not much instruction, but playing with it, there is pretty much only a few degrees of freedom in setting it up.

I'm using it in the table top mode.

A quicky review with my NEC MT1040. Adjustment is not sensitive to detail which is good because the adjustment mechanisms seem coarse and difficult to reproduce. Fitting it to a fixed screen is doable but tricky. A washer or something should be on the adjustment screws for a more secure fit. Its basically a slide adjustment with 4 degrees of freedom,i.e. x,y,and two angles of rotation.

The focus is softer than with the projector, but still good enough for XGA. The net effect is almost no screen door with my LCD. It will probably cause some loss of resolution with text on a DILA from a computer but it still provides full horizontal and vertical XGA resolution. SXGA will also be affected, but the level of the effect is .1-.2 pixels.

Uniformity is sensitive to adjustment and as previously mentioned precision adjustment is evasive. Once appropriately adjusted I don't see any objectionable uniformity loss.

Brightness is better but I'm not sure how much so.

The lens has been cleaned but there is some residue. It isn't apparent in the image. It should be noted that the scattered light from all optics is always visible at the lens but not commonly meaningful from most projectors since it commonly doesn't affect the image.

Its a dust magnet.

Its worth it for the screen door reduction. Not so sure that the brightness is improved enough to justify it. It should be great with high power LCDs that permit aspect ratio control. My NEC is being driven by a DTC100 and a VHDC300. It works great but not all LCDs are capable of this. The XP21N for example doesn't permit this with component input.

The Showstopper:

Of course, Replay's server is down. I at least have some time to return it of it's not up and working properly within a couple of days.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
A vacation which would allow me some play time with my toys would be a welcome thing Ken. I've had a new DD receiver for 3 weeks and it's still sitting in the box. So is my sound card. My Panamorph will be delivered today and other than open it for a quick look I'm guessing it will be several days before I can take the time to set it up (and I need time to learn how to make my HTPC work with it).

I'm envious. Sounds like you spent your vacation an ideal way to me. I haven't had a real vacation (or even a weekend day) away from work in so long now I can't remember what that's like anymore.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "vacation" was 4 hours after work.

This morning I took another quick look before I left for work and the softness is not as pronounced after a little more playing. I can certainly optimize the focus to see individual pixels. The pixels have reduced fill factor, not as good as a DILA but certainly as good as a DLP.

A general opinion is that it works as advertised and was definitely worth the $600 and 12 months.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ken:

Thanks for the review. When you say the panamorph results in a somewhat softer image and its best benefit is screen door reduction, is it possible that the panamorph is defocusing the image in a manner not dissimilar to slight defocus of the projector itself?

Also, were you ever able to determine if the XP30 had adequate aspect ratio control to be used with the panamorph?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
The pixels have reduced fill factor, not as good as a DILA but certainly as good as a DLP.
Did you mean "increased"? Or rather, did it make it better or worse? You said it improved screendoor, which to me means that it increased the fill factor...

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Ken,

I found the need to change the focus quite a bit when going to and from the Panamorph. Did you notice that?

Chris

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for the observations, Ken.

I know that my D-ILA is in focus when the tiny faint dot (more like a speck) in the center of each pixel is visible on screen (from less than a foot away). Mark, if the image is "softer" (but brighter) do you think this focus method still hold true with the panamorph in place?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.