AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this newbish post, but I have a question about projector placement.

First off, I am 99% sure that I will be buying the Panasonic AE4000U bundle from Visual Apex (135" Elite 1.1 Gain Screen(Cinewhite) and Mount). With that taken care of, I ran off to the calculator on Projector Central and looked at the lumens.

Now, as you can see from my attached Bonus Room sketch, I have some room to play with on the throw, but not much. I can get as close as 14' 6" or as far back as 17'(allowing for clearance behind, maybe slightly less).

That gives me 15 fL at 14' 6" and 13 fL at 17'. How big of a difference is that really? I would like to place the projector as far back as possible. There are two ceiling vents that are about 2' from the back wall on either side of center. It would be nice to place the projector between those for cooling purposes in the summer. It would also ensure that it is well behind my front row of seats and unobtrusive.

So, how big of a visual difference are those 2 fL really? I don't have any practical experience so I am hoping that one of you might be able to help me out. Thank you for your time.

Ryan

BonusRoomSketch.pdf 9.044921875k . file

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't think you will see the difference. I've placed my pjs closest position and farthest postion with the same screen to test this out and I really don't see a difference. In fact when I stretch the screen out to absurd purportions like 180 inches, I can barely tell it loses light. I think the eyes adjust and then you don't notice anymore. I normally run a 135 screen, and the only time I see a difference is when I bring the picture down to 70 inches, then its much brighter. Even if you can see the difference between two ft lamberts, you won't give it much thought unless you constantly compare the two each time you watch the movie. Some people don't recommend such a big screen, but personally I think 135 is great, it still has alot of pop even at this size. The AE4000 is pretty bright so even on it best mode, you should still throw a good picture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts