AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the board done today and plaster tomorrow. so soon it will be paint time. I want wainscoting on wall and trim along tre ceiling like the example shown. The walls will be in the gray family-medium tone. But not sure about the ceiling. The wife does not want a black ceiling-so wondering if white is the kiss of death in a movie room for ceilings. I guess maybe a darker tone gray on the ceiling than walls with white trim and wainscoting?

another thought is a darker gray on the tre ceiling part and white on the center part ceiling ( which is 10ft). At least it will be darker right above the screen area thoughts?

·
Registered
631 Posts
99% of the theaters on this forum have a dark color in the theater area. Spend a couple hours and view the finished builds here. Don't make the mistake of going " light" . You'll be throwing up during the first movie you watch....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
99% of the theaters on this forum have a dark color in the theater area. Spend a couple hours and view the finished builds here. Don't make the mistake of going " light" . You'll be throwing up during the first movie you watch....
yeah I've definitely been looking-so many, but majority seem to go black ( I know its best). I've showed her some examples from here but its always too dark it seem. this is going to be a tough battle.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I've had a few rooms over the years (one with an all white ceiling) and I would advise to go with as dark as you can get away with. I now have black and grey ceiling with wood beams creating the trays. I don't notice the lighter grey because of the size of the black area at the ceiling above the screen wall and the depth of the trays. However, I am planning to go with a darker shade of grey on the side walls in the very near future. When we built the home I decided I'd have the painters do a simple grey base and I'd eventually do Ralph Lauren suede paint (or similar) myself.

You should also take a look at suede paints. They are less reflective and usually very WAF friendly.

Here's an example of a suede paint:

·
Registered
631 Posts
On brighter movie scenes... The light will reflect off your light color walls/ ceiling. Your eyes will follow this " flash" , creating a major distraction when watching movies. Check out your local movie theater..... Nothing is light colored. Its been proven since the start of silent movie houses. Don't go light, you'll regret it.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Take wife on a trip to local paint store and get samples! On back of each paint chip are light reflective property values which will help with identifying desirable paint for room.

I'd look at Ralph Lauren Suede paint due to reflective properties and paint really looks :cool:. Lots more work rolling first then painting X's across whole ceiling using 4-6 inch brush.......but finish is "CLASS" all the way!

Wife picked color for our ceiling as she has a great eye......................

IMHO, all black is NOT very attractive.........but using black as a complementary color helps with screen properties and perceived contrast. I have wood all over the room.......yet with all lights off non-issue due to other measures taken to insure light not bouncing off walls, ceiling, wood trim. I'd look at varying shades of gray in Suede............reflective properties of paint are just as important as color.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
wow, all great suggestions, thanks everyone. never heard of the RL suede paint. going to definitely check that out, thanks. Big, I love the look of Rawlinsway theater. I will probably borrow some of those looks- since I love the look of a lot of the trim throughout the room-although I'm not sure she will go for cream colored trim. The movie room is only part of the addition/reno we are doing. But I have to say with all the construction and building decisions, I find picking out colors on paint, tile, floors etc to be the part I look forward to the least. I'm sure some of you can sympathize. I did say no matter what, the screen wall will be black-so I have that!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Another tactic you can use is to not paint the walls and ceiling - instead use fabric to cover them. Many fabrics are less reflective than paint, and you can get some amazing patterns and designs. It'll also be handy for covering your acoustical treatments.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another tactic you can use is to not paint the walls and ceiling - instead use fabric to cover them. Many fabrics are less reflective than paint, and you can get some amazing patterns and designs. It'll also be handy for covering your acoustical treatments.
Does the cloth catch a lot of extra dust ( allergies). I've seen many great home theaters here doing that and they look awesome, but always wondered about that. maybe I'm being to nit-picky. I was planning on painted walls and adding acoustic panels on the wall afterwards.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Does the cloth catch a lot of extra dust ( allergies). I've seen many great home theaters here doing that and they look awesome, but always wondered about that. maybe I'm being to nit-picky. I was planning on painted walls and adding acoustic panels on the wall afterwards.
I have very bad allergies in Spring...........

My room's walls are all fabric and no issues whatsoever. I'd be very careful with placing any fabric on wall.........make sure fire resistant and acoustically transparent!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have very bad allergies in Spring...........

My room's walls are all fabric and no issues whatsoever. I'd be very careful with placing any fabric on wall.........make sure fire resistant and acoustically transparent!
good to know thanks. excellent point on the fire resistant. so many things to consider for one room. going to look at paint samples this weekend. start with Benj. Moore. always had good luck with them in the past. Then hopefully I can find a place with the RL suede.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've never used this, but supposedly you can make any fabric fire resistant with No-Burn Spray.

Regarding acoustic transparency, I've read differing arguments on that. Some argue it's a must, but others argue that for many types of fabric, the frequencies that don't pass through the cloth are absorbed by the cloth, so you basically get the same end product when you're trying to cover an absorber. You just have to be careful not to over absorb very high frequencies. Obviously, some fabrics are going to be reflective depending on their weave and material type. If you really want to dive into the deep end of acoustics, there are some good threads in this forum as well as a ton of great info on the GearSlutz forums - which is geared more toward recording studio design.

·
Registered
753 Posts
One thing you can mention to your wife is that a black ceiling actually makes the room feel bigger. In my last theater, I said I wanted black and she said absolutely not. My wife assumed a black ceiling would make the basement theater feel more confined and claustrophobic. However we then went to visit someone else who was building a theater and who had already painted their ceiling black. The first thing we both noticed was that when you walked in, it felt like there there was no ceiling in the room so the room seemed taller than it was. That convinced her that a black ceiling was the way to go and we never regretted it.

We sold our house last year, and not a single potential buyer complained that the ceiling in the basement was black either.

Maybe try to find someone local with a dark ceiling that you can view in person with her?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing you can mention to your wife is that a black ceiling actually makes the room feel bigger. In my last theater, I said I wanted black and she said absolutely not. My wife assumed a black ceiling would make the basement theater feel more confined and claustrophobic. However we then went to visit someone else who was building a theater and who had already painted their ceiling black. The first thing we both noticed was that when you walked in, it felt like there there was no ceiling in the room so the room seemed taller than it was. That convinced her that a black ceiling was the way to go and we never regretted it.

We sold our house last year, and not a single potential buyer complained that the ceiling in the basement was black either.

Maybe try to find someone local with a dark ceiling that you can view in person with her?
Interesting, never thought of it that way. just wondering if I don't trim it out around the tre ceiling it would less noticeable then. I mentioned how about a very dark gray ceiling then, didn't reject it, so we'll see. Still wants white trim and hardwoods though. So I see a big area rug in my future to tone down the sound a bit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Interesting, never thought of it that way. just wondering if I don't trim it out around the tre ceiling it would less noticeable then. I mentioned how about a very dark gray ceiling then, didn't reject it, so we'll see. Still wants white trim and hardwoods though. So I see a big area rug in my future to tone down the sound a bit.
We didn't have any trim in our theater, so it's hard for me to say. However like I said, without the trim, you never even noticed the fact that there was a ceiling. It just felt much bigger than it really was. I attached a picture.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts