AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new TV, and this ist he one issue that's kind of giving me pause. I'm in a PAL market, where TVs come in 50 Hz-100 Hz varieties, occasionally 60 Hz but never 120 or 240 Hz. Panasonic TVs all advertise a "True Cinema" 24p mode, but I've never seen any other TV advertise it, and it doesn't seem like it would typically be an option without 120 Hz support.

Of course, 90%+ of the content I watch will be 24p.

So how big an issue is this, really? Is the adjustment made to 24p footage to fit it onto a 50 Hz screen noticeable? Would you buy a TV without 24p support?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Why wouldn't manufacturer of LCD TVs with refresh rate of 120hz or higher include 24p support as a standard? It surprises me why they wouldn't include native 1:1 pulldown as a basic feature. I mean, does it really add that much to the cost to accept a 24p input signal? In my mind, this option, (along with 1:1 pixel mapping and 0% overscan) should be no-brainers.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingTortoise  /t/1468318/how-important-is-24p-mode-really#post_23206592

Right, they wouldn't... but like I said, 120 Hz TVs aren't really available here, and are far too expensive to ship over the sea. I'm talking about 50 Hz or 100 Hz TVs.
"100Hz" TVs often have a 24p mode. Mine has. 100Hz LCDs probably (though I'd like to see some sort of test that proves it) can output at 120Hz too (eg. for 60Hz sources).

Answer - a 24p mode is important - though there will still be "judder", even though it's not 3:2 pull-down judder. If only we had a 48p mode too and the Hobbit trilogy in 48p

Though some 100/120Hz TVs may be able to detect 60Hz sources that are of 24 fps footage and remove the 3:2 pull-down from that - so in that case you wouldn't need to send it as 24Hz. Though sending it as 24Hz probably gives the best chance of it sending it and being displayed 'correctly'.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Unless you are looking at the cheapest of the cheap, 24p support should be standard these days. The reason it's not being mentioned by most is because it's no longer a selling point.

I would not buy a display that lacked support for 24p though, I can't stand 3:2 judder.

You still get judder from 24fps being such a low framerate though, but that is unavoidable without using interpolation. (I prefer Sony's MotionFlow over other types as it retains the film look while helping to smooth out the judder)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts