AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

So I am in the process of getting my First HDTV

I have never watched a blu-ray other than the 3 minuets I did while in a Hhgregg....

For a good deal, I can get a great 50" 1080p plasma (pn50c550) but I dont believe it supports 24p playback...

Is 24p playback very important? Will I notice something isn't normal when watching a blu ray on a TV that doesn't support 24p?

or

Will I be so wowed by the HD epic-ness over SD that 24p wont make a difference?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If you are desiring the "look of film", then yes 24p is important, because it reproduces the 24fps of the theater. But if you are satisfied with the 60Hz playback and the Telecine frame rate conversion that adapts film source to a 60Hz TV, then you need not pay for the feature. Telecine is what most of us grew up watching on NTSC televisions.

I am among the minority that likes 24Hz with frame interpolation that synthesizes other video frames between source frames. Take the time to learn what the three different video playback processes I have described look like, then make your own choice is my advice. You will be living with your choice for several years.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscove /forum/post/19543756

Hey Guys

So I am in the process of getting my First HDTV

I have never watched a blu-ray other than the 3 minuets I did while in a Hhgregg....

For a good deal, I can get a great 50" 1080p plasma (pn50c550) but I dont believe it supports 24p playback...

Is 24p playback very important? Will I notice something isn't normal when watching a blu ray on a TV that doesn't support 24p?

or

Will I be so wowed by the HD epic-ness over SD that 24p wont make a difference?

Thanks for the help

Its not that important. 24p mode bypasses a sets normal 3/2 pulldown that activates if 24p content is being passed to a 60hz model. However 24p is still jittery, so even sets with a 24p mode can suffer from motion judder.

However a lot of modern sets with a 24p mode also have some algorithms (interpolation?) built in to smooth out judder. For example, my A530 LCD does 24p, and runs buttery smooth when it does it. I notice far more "judder" with content played with the 3/2 pulldown activated.

The C550 plasma is a pretty new set (2010 model, right?) so I would think it has a 24p mode. Its pretty standard in most HDTV's these days.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have and PN 50c 450 and it is able to take 24p so I would anticipate that the model you are thinking of does as well. That said it is not all that important. The TV can do the 3/2 pulldown very well.

The only time the 24p comes into play is with a blu ray and your player must be able to output the 24p.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Most films are recorded in 24p and most new blu ray movies are mastered as 24p. If u are a PC guy you will understand why native is optimal. Otherwise it is a matter of whether you can see a difference between 24p native or 2:3 pulldown to 60Hz, and whether u like 24p movie feel or MCFI video look.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/19544941

Its not that important. 24p mode bypasses a sets normal 3/2 pulldown that activates if 24p content is being passed to a 60hz model. However 24p is still jittery, so even sets with a 24p mode can suffer from motion judder.

However a lot of modern sets with a 24p mode also have some algorithms (interpolation?) built in to smooth out judder. For example, my A530 LCD does 24p, and runs buttery smooth when it does it. I notice far more "judder" with content played with the 3/2 pulldown activated.

The C550 plasma is a pretty new set (2010 model, right?) so I would think it has a 24p mode. Its pretty standard in most HDTV's these days.

+1

honestly, op if you have to ask, you will not really notice one way or the other but imo 24p is mostly marketing hype and way over-exposed here at avs.

get the largest 1080p tv you can afford. size is the only factor you should consider.

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Interpolation gives film a cartoony, buttery smooth look to be fair. If you want to mimic the moviegoing experience, 24fps is the way to go. Otherwise you can live satisfactorily with 3:2 pulldown.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
With a plasma HDTV motion Judder and motion blur due to 24fps content is eliminated since the screen display is at a 80% dutry cycle or less. You can eliminate 3:2 puilldown Judder by putting the plasma in 96fps mode and each frame of 24fps content will be displayed 4 times.

With a 120Hz LCD you have choice of eliminating 24fps content of elinating 24fps judder my using frame elimination which crates what some call Soap Opra effect of of eliminating 3:2 pulldown Judder by using 5:5 pulldown so that each frame of 24fps content is displayd 5 times since 5x24=120.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts