AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to buy a UPS for my JVC 61FH97 only for emergency power outages so it will allow me to turn the TV off. I have read that most cheaper power supplies output a square wave instead of an ac sine wave and some electronics don't like it. I don't want to damage my equipment but also don't want to spend a fortune either. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
421 Posts
Why do you need to have a UPS to turn power off in the event of a power outage?

Isnt the power already off? or are you refering to brownouts?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwickdraw4 /forum/post/0

Why do you need to have a UPS to turn power off in the event of a power outage?

Isnt the power already off? or are you refering to brownouts?

Probably because the fan runs for some time after the projector is turned off so the bulb will cool down better and not damage it.

Cheap UPS's don't recreate the AC sine wave as well as good ones do, and sensitive electronics don't like that. Good units use better inverters to recreate the AC signal from the DC stored in their batteries. The sine wave recreated is actually a bunch of short steps of DC at different voltages that are put together to make an sine wave. The more little steps, the smoother the sine wave is.

I've used APC UPS's for my plasmas and computers, and they work well allowing for proper shutdown. Just make sure you get one with a large enough battery to allow enough Amp-hours to allow everything plugged into it to run long enough for proper shutdown.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl /forum/post/0

No, if the power goes out the cooling fan for the bulb also goes out and decreases it's life expectancy. The UPS will allow the fan to continue to run until the bulb is cool enough.

I'd love to see some figures on this. Not to jynx myself, but my first bulb (jvc 52g886) burnt out in 3 months. The replacement is now a year old and has about 3500 hours on it. Lost power at least 3 times with no ups. I realize these things run toasty hot and need cooling, but how much does the fan protect in power down situation vs allowing bulb to go to room temp on it's own?

Any engineers out there on this one? Don't mean to hijack thread.

thanx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.