Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo guys!

I have ordered the sdi-input card for my pc, and I was just wondering how important the cpu power is for picture quality, when using d-scaler?

I currently have a Pentium III 700 mghz, Is that enough or is 800mghz really the bottomline?

I will only be watching dvd.

Thanks in advance!

Kempf.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I guess that your 800 mghz might not be enough ;)

Seriously, I run it correctly on my 600mhz Celeron so you'll be quite fine with a 700mhz machine.

However, there's quite some options in Dscaler that makes it more or less demanding on cpu horsepower. So if you want to use filters and the most advanced deinterlacing algorithms, it might be slightly short.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Actually, it ran very poorly on my Celeron 700. I switched to a Duron 900 and it runs fantastic...

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Kempf: please note that the SDI card will require running at a 720 pixel width. This might affect your equation. But you should be fine, if you stay away from the GreedyHM algorithm.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschmelzer
the SDI card will require running at a 720 pixel width
Dan:

What do you mean? You're not saying that the display resolution needs to be set to 720x540, are you?

- Dave

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I sure hope not. :D

Rather, we're talking input resolution. For 525/60, that will mean 720x480. For 625/50, that will mean 720x576.

·
Registered
509 Posts
On my P3 850Mhz computer DScaler is pretty challenged. It can't run the best deinterlacing algorithms or pretty much any filters without dropping frames. It is still better than nothing, but it isn't as good as my projector's internal scaler.

On my Athlon 1.2Ghz system DScaler can run very nicely almost any way I want to configure it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On my Celeron 300a(overlocked to 463Mhz) with WinME dScaler runs fine. It is just fast enough, seldom does it drop frames. Can't turn on some of the nice filters but can pick any of the de-interlacing algorithms. Using PAL resolution 768x576. I think a minimum of 100Mhz front side bus speed is critical for this application. I've been using it for TV viewing on my Sony 1292 projector for a couple of months now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hallo Guys!

Thanks for all the replies.

What is the greedyHM Algorithm?:confused:

I have not yet seen or used D-scaler.

Thanks in advance!

Kempf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status