AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Crucial 9200 128mb card which compares closely to the ATI 9600 pro 128mb, and I noticed in the description that it says "the Crucial Radeon 9200 is the first mainstream graphics solution to combine Microsoft Direct X 8.1 support with AGP 8X".

Does the fact that this card only supports DX8.1, hinder or will it degrade DVD playback picture quality?.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Does the fact that this card only supports DX8.1
And exactly where does it say this?

I'm guessing that the card pre-dates DX9, and therefore there is no mention of DX9 in the literature.

Vern

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vern,

Given that, that is all the information that is given on the card, and they have updated the video cards they provide, this was my assumption. I have emailed their tech support for verifaction on this plus a few other questions in comparison to the 9600 pro but I have not yet received an answer...its still early yet. Also, I do know about "assumptions" ;)

My question on DX still stands though...does it effect video playback and quality?. I'm also searching for the answer...just so folks know. Thanks

Chewbacco-

·
Registered
150 Posts
You are comparing two different cards, the Radeon 9200 does not support

DX9, but the 9600 does. I am not sure, but I don't think Direct X is very

critical for non gaming applications. It has mostly to do with rendering of

3D in video games.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wbrack,

Hi, yeah I am comparing the two cards, it seems Crucials'9200 card is "about" the same except for DX support, for which I'm still waiting for an answer. I'm designing my system for DVD playback only and Crucials' 9200 card has DVI, VGA, TV-out, 128MB, it's fanless, it runs a 400mhz ramdac, supports AGP8x,4x,2x, which is mostly for games. but my main concern was the DX issue plus, with a DVI-I will it support a dongle?. :confused: This for 87 bucks!....answers forthcoming

Chewbacco-

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You need DirectX to use any of the mainstream DVD players in Windows. The question is which version? Versions 8 and 9 not are not-and-day different from each other if you are using overlay. VMR9 is a feature of directx9. Cards the "support DirectX 9" have the ability to assist with VMR9 rendering whereas cards that don't "support DirectX 9" make the CPU do all the work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.