AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And when I say match, I not only mean the speaker brand, but also the driver size and material.

Situation 1 - inexpensive aluminum driver 8" in-wall speakers (Brand A) for Front L/R coupled with a high quality center channel (not aluminum - Brand B) with dual 5.25" or 6.5" drivers. Brands different - Good or bad?

Situation 2 - high quality kevlar driver 8" in-wall speakers (Brand B) for Front L/R coupled with high quality aluminum driver center channel (also Brand B) with dual 5.25" drivers. Driver material different - Good or bad?

Situation 3 - high quality aluminum driver 6.5" in-wall speakers (Brand B) for Front L/R coupled with high quality aluminum driver center channel (also Brand B) with dual 5.25" drivers. Driver size different - Good or bad?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
16,942 Posts
Timbre matching the center speaker to the other 2 front speakers is pretty important. With 2 (or 2.5-way) speakers, the most important thing to match is the tweeter. Different size woofers/midwoofers are not much of an issue at all. Different woofer/midwoofer material could possibly be an issue if it affects the speakers' midrange performance significantly. That the tweeters be identical is what is most important.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So staying within the same brand speaker seems necessary then, as you wouldn't want to go with a Front L/R that had a aluminum driver and a horn tweeter and match that to a different brand center that had a silk dome tweeter? Correct?

·
Registered
22,519 Posts
Same brand and model line is ideal, and match 2-way with 2-way, 3-way with 3-way, etc. A poor match, or even a marginal match will leave you underwhelmed at best and unhappy at worst.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If you want a seamless front stage timbre matching is extremely important. Having all identical speakers is of course the best ... but have a center with the same tweeter and mid and preferable even bass drivers and a crossover tweaked to bring them as close as possible to the mains is second best.

As far as different brands but similar tweeters....that's not timber matching..crossovers can really change the way speakers sound so I wouldn't consider it....you'll notice the difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crap.

I was hoping this wasn't the answer but I do understand the reasoning. My less pricey option has no matching center channel, and my more expensive option doesn't have the driver size I'm looking for.

Anyone want to make a recommendation for 5 in-wall speakers on a $700-$900 budget? I need the center channel to fit a 14.5" cutout, so that limits me to either a 5.25" driver with a woofer/tweet/woofer configuration, or a matching set of 5 identical speakers (one of which would simply be installed as a center), which I'm fine with 6.5" drivers, but would prefer 8".

- 70% movies and TV

- 30% music

- Pioneer 1019 receiver and Elemental Designs A2-300 sub.

Thanks a lot for the input - your help appreciated!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbricken /forum/post/18279053

Crap.

I was hoping this wasn't the answer but I do understand the reasoning. My less pricey option has no matching center channel, and my more expensive option doesn't have the driver size I'm looking for.

Anyone want to make a recommendation for 5 in-wall speakers on a $700-$900 budget? I need the center channel to fit a 14.5" cutout, so that limits me to either a 5.25" driver with a woofer/tweet/woofer configuration, or a matching set of 5 identical speakers (one of which would simply be installed as a center), which I'm fine with 6.5" drivers, but would prefer 8".

- 70% movies and TV

- 30% music

Normally a manufacturer will make a center using the same tweet and midrange with smaller woofers... this is fine and should be close enough as long as all speakers are in the same model line.

If these are all inwalls why not just use identical speakers across the front..t he best center is the speaker you use as mains.

·
Registered
22,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbricken /forum/post/18279053

Crap.

- 70% movies and TV

- 30% music

+1 for using 5 identical units.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to go with the BIC America FH8-W speakers, but can't find anyone to sell me a single speaker to use for the center. If I had to buy an additional pair, I'd have an extra speaker lying around not getting used.

For about the same money, I can get the RBH TK-8 (Kevlar - 8" drivers) for all 5 speakers.

For a little more money, I can go with 4 of the RBH MC-6 (6" driver) and a MC-414 (5.25" driver) for the center.

Any more opinions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts