AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my center sitting below my screen on the floor. The midrange is about 1.5' off the floor and the tweeter is 2' from the floor. It has adjustable spikes and is leaning back so the speaker is facing up at the listening position. They don't make a stand for it and say it's meant to run on the floor. The guys on Audyssey thread say BS... any speaker will benefit from being raised off the floor. I have about 8" clearence from the screen that I put in to insure I didn't get any light reflections. I mainly care about picture quality with Bluray movies which have black bars, so I could use the whole 8" even if it compromised my 16:9 picture quality a bit.

How much to I stand to gain from making / buying a custom stand? I set my speakers to small, but crossover the center at 40hz.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
How much to I stand to gain from making / buying a custom stand?

About a 1% gain.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15558597

............any speaker will benefit from being raised off the floor.

Which is correct.

I assume you meant your midrange and tweeter at 1.5" and 2" off the ground, respectively, correct? Not 1.5' and 2', right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15558597

How much to I stand to gain from making / buying a custom stand?

A bunch. I don't even understand why you have to ask. The further from the floor you can get it, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/15559499

About a 1% gain.
WTH?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Altho I wont give you a hard number like gooki
I will give you a hint on how you can see what benefits you're missing (more than 1% I bet) by raising your CC.

Really, its simple....get a box, a hamper, phonebooks, etc. to raise it to the height you want, set the level and listen. Go from there.

And just an observation but isnt a 40hz x-over for your CC a bit low? Unless you've started at 80hz already and worked your way down.......

P.S. Oh yea, just wanted to ask what manufacturer recommends their CC to be mounted on the floor? (angled up I assume)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The main advantage is to get the sound from your center channel coming from about the same height as your mains. This means getting the tweeters at around the same height.

If they are way off, you may notice an unrealistic shift when a sound is panned smoothly from one main speaker through the center channel to the other main. On the other hand, you may not. Research shows that under the right circumstances, visual cues (something on the screen which is apparently emitting the sound) can override auditory cues for localization. Unfortunately, we don't yet know exactly what those circumstances are.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
30,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/15561313

Research shows that under the right circumstances, visual cues (something on the screen which is apparently emitting the sound) can override auditory cues for localization.

I've read the same, but also that it can be more fatiguing for the brain to do that over a long period of time. The closer you can get the actual sound source to the apparent sound source, the less has to be compensated for and the easier it is to process.

Sanjay

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/15561313

The main advantage is to get the sound from your center channel coming from about the same height as your mains. This means getting the tweeters at around the same height...

...and if you have the room and are able to do this then you would be even better off using the same speaker as the mains.
Many people buy and use a center speaker when they could get superior sound using 3 (or better yet 5) matching speakers.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like my screen centered vertically with my eyes and choose not to use an acoustic transparent screen because of the video trade offs. A 3rd main would have been cheaper, but my video preferences preclude the option and force me to use a dedicated center.

I got one of the big B&W centers (htm1d) and their website says it was specifically designed to run on the floor (spikes on carpet). I haven't experimented much because it's heavy. But since it's big, I was hoping the mid & tweeters were high enough off the floor without a stand to avoid negative interaction with the floor. Measurements for floor to center of the driver is ~ 6" for woofers, 19" for midrange, 24" for tweeter.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
If you have multiple rows of seating, your center channel cannot be on the floor...you need unobstructed line of sight from all seats to all the speakers.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15563753

...I got one of the big B&W centers (htm1d) and their website says it was specifically designed to run on the floor (spikes on carpet). I haven't experimented much because it's heavy...

You have an HDM1D.
At 200lbs how would you elevate it?
Seriously the HDM1D is designed to be placed under screen on he floor. You just elevate the front to angle the Nautilus head so it is facing your ear level. What are your main's (800,801 or 802's) and rears?

I have 803D's and an HDM2D myself. Would love to sell my rears (804's) and move my 803D's to the rear and get a pair of 802D 's and an HDM1D. My screen is a perfect 23.75" above my floor for the HDM1D. It's just my cheek book that's not.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Here's a reference from the B&W site:

The HTM1D is specifically intended to be mounted on the floor, its low profile allowing a large projection screen to come within 600mm (2 ft) of the floor. Supplied with the system are four heavy-duty height-adjustable feet. This design allows up to 40mm (1.6 in) of vertical adjustment so that the speaker may be tilted back to face more towards the listeners. They have a case hardened spike at one end for carpeted floors, and a non-marking rubber pad on the other for more vulnerable surfaces.

I think they know what their design parameters were!

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident /forum/post/15563753

I got one of the big B&W centers (htm1d) and their website says it was specifically designed to run on the floor (spikes on carpet). I haven't experimented much because it's heavy. But since it's big, I was hoping the mid & tweeters were high enough off the floor without a stand to avoid negative interaction with the floor. Measurements for floor to center of the driver is ~ 6" for woofers, 19" for midrange, 24" for tweeter.

This is important information!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It always nice to know all the details when asked for advice.

Mounted low looks it might be ok considering how low the mains are.....but then the seating position must be very low as well or else nothing really works together.

·
Registered
30,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15565884

Mounted low looks it might be ok considering how low the mains are.....but then the seating position must be very low as well or else nothing really works together.

Wow, for something like that my seating position would be on the floor.

Sanjay

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15565884

It always nice to know all the details when asked for advice.

Mounted low looks it might be ok considering how low the mains are.....but then the seating position must be very low as well or else nothing really works together....

Is that your setup? 2 Things:

1)How does that glass shelf support that over 200lb monster?

2)Why are saying "...the seating position must be very low..." when the tweeters on the mains are a full 4' above the floor and the center is probably a good 3'. Seated in a HT recliner your ears will be level or slightly below the mains and slightly above the center. Do you won't to be WAY below them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15566060

Sanjay

You must not realize the scale of what you are looking at.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/15566314

Is that your setup?

Sucks, huh?

Quote:

1)How does that glass shelf support that over 200lb monster?

That is some very thick glass and all the weight is not on the center of the shelf, but distributed towards the corners of the shelf near its supports.

Quote:

I think he does. I think he is joking about something. Just not sure what.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Wow. That center is a beast (they are beautiful speakers, and I'm sure they sound out of this world in a good room).

On a side note, how do you keep from being distracted by those huge VU meters on your gorgeous McIntosh amps? I think those things would put me in a trance with the room lights dimmed low.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15566559

Sucks, huh?...

Man I have the upgrade fever.
I need to take an (bottle of) aspirin before I end up at my dealer and getting a couple of 802D's and an HDM1D. I keep telling myself that my 803D's would make fantastic rears because of the extra tweeter hight and my "puny" HTM2D just doesn't cut it and needs upgrading to the HTM1D.

·
Registered
30,891 Posts

Quote:

There are standard width audio components in that pic for scale, but OK I'll bite: how high off the floor is the midrange/tweeter of the centre speaker?

Sanjay

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15566060

Sanjay
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15567453

There are standard width audio components in that pic for scale, but OK I'll bite: how high off the floor is the midrange/tweeter of the centre speaker?

Sanjay

Too low, imho. The reason I didn't get the HTM1D to accompany my 802Ds is the lack of a stand to raise the mid/hf to match the height of those in the 802Ds.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts