AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system, and everything has been properly hooked up.

My sub is connected via rca cable to my Onkyo txsr 605. The cable I used as far as I know is just a generic cable that was just lying around the house in a bag of cables that I have.

Would i get noticeable better sound quality / performance if I were to use an appropriate cable purchased from monoprice? At what price point would I expect to see an increase in SQ / performance?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie /forum/post/15561604

I recently purchased a Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system, and everything has been properly hooked up.

My sub is connected via rca cable to my Onkyo txsr 605. The cable I used as far as I know is just a generic cable that was just lying around the house in a bag of cables that I have.

Would i get noticeable better sound quality / performance if I were to use an appropriate cable purchased from monoprice? At what price point would I expect to see an increase in SQ / performance?

I know it's hard to resist thinking a higher quality cable will sound better, but if your system sounds ok now (no hum or distortion) then upgrading the cable won't make a noticeable difference. If you really take the time to research this you will see why. A higher quality cable may provide increased durability but is generally not needed for home use.

·
Registered
962 Posts

Quote:

At what price point would I expect to see an increase in SQ / performance?

The real question is at what price point will you no longer expect to see (and I mean factually, not perception) an increase in SQ / performance? The point of diminishing returns is exceedingly low for cables. YMMV...or at least you think it might.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
as long as it's THX certified, you'll be fine

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/15577658

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/15577658

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went with a monoprice 25 footer sub cable LFE hookup.

15 bucks and my hum problems went away.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:

If your subwoofer is not humming or in any other kind of distress, there is no reason to replace the cheap RCA cable you are using.

You also need to be aware that otk is kidding about THX certified cables. He does a lot of kidding, like adding 8 new subwoofers to the 6 Def Tech subs he already has.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator /forum/post/15580089

I went with a monoprice 25 footer sub cable LFE hookup.

15 bucks and my hum problems went away.

which one did you get? I can hear a hum at higher listening levels from both the sub and mains. I am wondering if the cable itself could correct it in the sub alone, not sure if it would help because it is probably some kind of ground loop thing or cable TV wire thing or something I cannot seem to figure out.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/15581002

like adding 8 new subwoofers to the 6 Def Tech subs he already has.

not "add"

replace

"8" was a joke though, maybe

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/15581836

I can hear a hum at higher listening levels from both the sub and mains. I am wondering if the cable itself could correct it in the sub alone, not sure if it would help because it is probably some kind of ground loop thing or cable TV wire thing or something I cannot seem to figure out.

A cable will very likely not help. If you have a CATV induced hum it should go away when you disconnect the cable from your cable box.

Do you use any sort of power strip for your system and if so does it have any noise reduction capability? Some people may call it snake-oilish, but I have most definitely had a power strip get rid of hum for me, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15582139

A cable will very likely not help. If you have a CATV induced hum it should go away when you disconnect the cable from your cable box.

Do you use any sort of power strip for your system and if so does it have any noise reduction capability? Some people may call it snake-oilish, but I have most definitely had a power strip get rid of hum for me, for whatever reason.

I did try disconnecting the cable line from the settop box and it still had the hum. So I guess I should rule that out. I do use a power strip, the same one for everything, except the Ultra which is in the back away from everything else. I am using an old power strip that I used on my computer equipment if that makes any difference. I have no idea of its noise reduction capabilities. Care to recommend a particular brand or style of strip?

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/15582583

Care to recommend a particular brand or style of strip?

I may be burned at the stake. Monster.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15583057

I may be burned at the stake. Monster.

OK, thanks milesdavis backwards
. I forgot to mention that the AVR I am using, Onkyo 705 may be the chief culprit. Reading through the Amp forum, there is discussion about this model and a few others that may have a problem with separating the HDMI channels which somehow contributes to the "noise" the "hum" that I can hear. It only becomes really noticeable and annoying when I listen at a rather loud volume on the AVR. Say -5 or so. During the quiet scenes in a movie, for instance, the hum is present. Otherwise, I cannot really tell. I sometimes can hear it watching cable TV, but only if my volume is up louder than I usually have it. So I dunno, I was thinking about trying another receiver to see if that was really it, but I am in no hurry. I guess I can live with it for now. I have noticed it from the very beginning, just about a year ago when I began putting together my HT. Rosie does it too, so I know it is not the Ultra's fault. I can hear it in my mains too, but I have to stand up close to them to really hear it. Noise sucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts