AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I tried asking this yesterday and made the mistake of asking about surround speakers instead of saying the left and right speakers that sit on either side of the center channel speaker. So here I am asking again. Does the size of the towers that I choose make a difference if it's purely for a 5.1.2 that will be used 100% for Movies and Games? I'm trying to go with Elac Debut 2.0 (although many have recommended a different sub which is another topic and something I need to research now - suggestions are helpful though if you have any!) But, I'm wondering if it would be ok if I went with the smaller DF52's instead of the bigger DF62's?

I've also heard many people like to use bookshelfs instead of towers but can a smaller bookshelf speaker really be better than a bigger floorstanding or tower speaker for Home Theater use?

Any recommendations on speakers would be greatly appreciated as well. I'm looking at trying to stick around the price of the Elac Debut 2.0 series speakers. I've also been looking at Emotiva speakers...mostly because the C2+ center speaker is huge and looks promising! So any suggestions help! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,744 Posts
As long as you have a good sub (or two) there's nothing wrong with using bookshelf speakers for HT. Personally, I'd look for bookshelf speakers with a 1" dome tweeter*, a 5-1/2" or larger woofer and extension down to ~60Hz.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The size is typically not important because for a great HT you need a great subwoofer. If you have a great subwoofer, your crossover settings are going to be 80Hz or higher for many folks. Bookshelves can produce these frequencies as well as towers for the most part. There should be very little sound difference between the two.

IMO, towers for L/R make a bit more sense for music lovers. I don't see any point in towers for home theater other than looks and/or you just can't find a bookshelf mounting method you like.

When I started to build my new system earlier this year I wanted to do all bookshelf speakers. I could never find any bookshelf stands that I thought would hold up to my 3 kids running around the entertainment room all the time. It appeared all the stands would be knocked over too easy. I didn't want to wall-mount my front L/R bookshelves because the studs weren't in a perfectly symmetrical location. Because of this and a fantastic sale on my S55 towers I ended up with towers despite initially wanting bookshelves. This also worked out well for me as I went without a sub for a few months. I really enjoyed the towers during this time.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
782 Posts
It depends. Speaking specifically about "full range" speakers, size (volume) is a result of the design/performance parameters. In general terms, larger volumes (size) of most box designs are required to achieve the desired frequency response the designer wants to get from the drivers being used, but overall size of a speaker is not based on just that...generally the more drivers, the larger the box. There are lots of really good high end 2 way bookshelf designs that outperform larger speakers especially in regards to soundstage accuracy, but in general (but not always) it's easier to design higher efficiency and louder volumes into larger drivers and boxes. So in short, speaker size is not a function of the room size, YET what and how we hear any speaker regardless of it's size is greatly affected by the listening room. Learning a little about interpreting basic speaker spec's, such as frequency response, efficiency, and their sustained output levels will provide some insights but realty is a well designed high end bookshelf can provide better room response in a given room as compared to many speakers that are much larger. I cannot overemphasize how understanding what makes a good listening room and proper speaker placement has on speaker performance. Likewise poor input/source/playback equipment/ and amplification can also make a good speaker (large or small) sound terrible. So back to my opening sentence, it depends. You asked a good question that illustrates exactly why it's so important to listen to speakers in your intended room because each and every speaker will sound different to some varying degree in different rooms.

·
Registered
17,750 Posts
Well, I tried asking this yesterday and made the mistake of asking about surround speakers instead of saying the left and right speakers that sit on either side of the center channel speaker. So here I am asking again. Does the size of the towers that I choose make a difference if it's purely for a 5.1.2 that will be used 100% for Movies and Games? I'm trying to go with Elac Debut 2.0 (although many have recommended a different sub which is another topic and something I need to research now - suggestions are helpful though if you have any!) But, I'm wondering if it would be ok if I went with the smaller DF52's instead of the bigger DF62's?

I've also heard many people like to use bookshelfs instead of towers but can a smaller bookshelf speaker really be better than a bigger floorstanding or tower speaker for Home Theater use?

Any recommendations on speakers would be greatly appreciated as well. I'm looking at trying to stick around the price of the Elac Debut 2.0 series speakers. I've also been looking at Emotiva speakers...mostly because the C2+ center speaker is huge and looks promising! So any suggestions help! Thanks in advance!
The ELAC 6.2 bookshelf is about $250/pr on Amazon right now, but you'd still need to get speaker stands which will run at least $100/pr for decent steel ones, so you'd be at $350 all in. Well, for an extra $50 you can get the Emotiva T Zeros and not worry about stands, plus you have two woofers instead of one.
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/airmotiv-t0-pair

They are an amazing bargain for quality towers that cost about the same as a good pair of bookshelves plus stands.

See attached photo for how they look together with the C2.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ELAC 6.2 bookshelf is about $250/pr on Amazon right now, but you'd still need to get speaker stands which will run at least $100/pr for decent steel ones, so you'd be at $350 all in. Well, for an extra $50 you can get the Emotiva T Zeros and not worry about stands, plus you have two woofers instead of one.
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/airmotiv-t0-pair

They are an amazing bargain for quality towers that cost about the same as a good pair of bookshelves plus stands.

See attached photo for how they look together with the C2.
Thank You, I think the Emotiva's look fantastic! Is there any reason to get the T1+'s instead of the T Zeros though? This is sort of where I'm going with this whole topic...Can I expect a lot more sound from the T1's to justify the extra cost?

·
Registered
17,750 Posts
Can I expect a lot more sound from the T1's to justify the extra cost?
Unlikely, unless you plan to listen to music in 2.0 mode at fairly loud volumes perhaps.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
IMO speaker size is really only determined by the distance you sit from your system. The subwoofer is really the only speaker you need to consider the total amount of cubic space.

·
Registered
17,750 Posts
Can I expect a lot more sound from the T1's to justify the extra cost?
PS. The extra $300 you save by NOT going with the T1s would be much more fruitfully applied to your subwoofer budget.

And no, the subwoofer brand does NOT have to match the speaker brand. Never. Ever.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS. The extra $300 you save by NOT going with the T1s would be much more fruitfully applied to your subwoofer budget.

And no, the subwoofer brand does NOT have to match the speaker brand. Never. Ever.
Fair enough...so is the Emotiva 10" subwoofer worth getting or should I get something else instead?

·
Registered
17,750 Posts
Fair enough...so is the Emotiva 10" subwoofer worth getting or should I get something else instead?
The S10 is out of stock. Emotiva's in-stock subs are here:
https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers

Only the S15, on closeout at $800 would be a good deal, particularly if you can get the 30% applied to that price (order the T0s first, then they give you a 30% off credit for your next order).

Otherwise, look at Rythmik and Hsu for solid subs around $600.

The Hsu VTF-3 costs the same as the S15 before shipping but appears to go lower...check in the Subwoofers forum.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
IMO speaker size is really only determined by the distance you sit from your system.
Not if you want realistic dynamics and dynamic range, clean. Then you still need to move a fair amount of air from midbass up. Small speakers all sound constipated to me.

The subwoofer is really the only speaker you need to consider the total amount of cubic space.
Mount them nearfield and the room volume is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Not if you want realistic dynamics and dynamic range, clean. Then you still need to move a fair amount of air from midbass up.
That's not true.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I notice a difference in the scale of my two tower setups. Might be components and other room dynamics, but size of speaker and specifically, size of the drivers, does tend to increase scale of presentation. Maybe that’s not quality and maybe there’s a comparison that does not matter (like over 6” drivers?) but I like a big tower...

YMMV

Reactions: shivaji

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Physics doesn't care for your opinion.
It doesn't require towers. A good pair of bookshelf speakers and a good sub will outperform a pair of towers.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
A good pair of bookshelf speakers and a good sub will outperform a pair of towers.
No they won't. They simply can't move enough air from midbass up with a small, low Xmax driver. SPL is determined by the volume of air moved and dynamics has much more to do with above midbass than a sub.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thank You, I think the Emotiva's look fantastic! Is there any reason to get the T1+'s instead of the T Zeros though? This is sort of where I'm going with this whole topic...Can I expect a lot more sound from the T1's to justify the extra cost?
Emotiva T-Zeroes
* 4 ohm impedance
* rear bass ported, so must place at least 18" from any wall
* sensitivity of only 87 dB (combined with 4 ohm impedance, playing these loud will heat up your amp.)
* frequency response of 48 Hz to 28 kHz, not really impressive bass response for a tower speaker
* weigh 39 lbs. each, seem kind of light compared to other towers.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts