AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still searching and narrowing down the speakers I want to buy for my new house. My question is for home theater, how important is timbre matching between the front (L/R/Center) and the back (RS,LS,RR,LR)?

If I got one brand fronts and center, and another all 4 rear channels, would that be a problem? Would It sound funny? Or is it all relative? Something I should do If I wanted to do this?

thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Jim, there's no real way to quantify an answer to "how important is..." almost anything. 'Identical speakers' is best, 'same make' is better, 'similar configurations' is good. The closer, the better, is a safe answer.

"How funny would it sound" would, of course, depend on the sound of each speaker, the room, and the positioning of each speaker.

Can you not find a one-brand system that suits you and your room?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi larry. thanks for the post... i didn't figure there would be a "correct" answer to this.... but I thought there might be some general rules.

And yes, I am having trouble finding one brand that suits all my needs. What I'm looking for is a complete 7 speaker system (i have an SVS already) that looks great and sounds great (who isn't) with bi/di polar rear speakers that are wall mountable for under 2500. I really like the Rockets from what I've seen and read, but the rear dipolars are HUGE (15x15) and "no way am I hanging those on the walls" according to the wife! LOL I'm still working on her... but researching other options.

I was thinking of maybe purchasing NHT 3.3s on audiogon (1400 or so) with a used AC2 and then maybe some good rear bipoles.. like axioms QS8 or something. But that is just me throwing different ideas out.

thanks for you help!

Jim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I use NHT 2.5is up front, with an AC-1 and SuperZeros in back.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For movies, not as important as DVD-Audio/SACD surround mixes. It becomes more critical for musical programing than movies. However, it would be desirable to match the speakers all around for both applications, if possible.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I'm being torned by this same question though-wanting to upgrade my fronts but having to consider what else I'll have to spend eventually to make the system match.It has an effect on how much I'm willing to spend on my mains(right now I'm leaning towards PT 9.1 for fronts but hesitating because I know it could be another $3000 eventually to make the other speakers match)Stereo was so much easier!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Consider Definitive Technology speakers, in particular the ProCinema series if size matters.

(Some say it does, some say it doesn't)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James R. Geib
For movies, not as important as DVD-Audio/SACD surround mixes. It becomes more critical for musical programing than movies. However, it would be desirable to match the speakers all around for both applications, if possible.
My thoughts exactly

·
Registered
757 Posts
the simple fact is that if you just want to do it right and not worry about it, then timbre match. otherwise, you probably won't be able to sit back, relax, and enjoy the speakers because you'll constantly be wondering if they match.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you can't get all matching speakers, make sure that the L/C/R are the same to get the best soundstage performance from HT. The rears are not as important as the front 3 because in HT the L/C/R produce the most sound than the rears. I do recommend that you get matching speakers all around when you can, but until then try to match the drivers as close as possible later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.