AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now really, how important it seriously is to timbre-match the fronts with the center channel. I have Mirage Omnisat front L/R. I am really vexed up with finding original Omni CC (not Omnisat V2). I can't spend $400 for the Omnisat V2 CC. My budget is $100 - $200 tops. But, I want to know this whole timbre-match concept. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishi4 /forum/post/0

Now really, how important it seriously is to timbre-match the fronts with the center channel. I have Mirage Omnisat front L/R. I am really vexed up with finding original Omni CC (not Omnisat V2). I can't spend $400 for the Omnisat V2 CC. My budget is $100 - $200 tops. But, I want to know this whole timbre-match concept. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's absolutely the most important thing you can do. For a few years I had two Klipsch KG4's as my L/R and since they didn't have a Center channel made back in 1984 I tried multiple Klipsch and other center speakers in my system. It always bothered me when a person in a movie went off screen while they were still talking, because as their voice moved from the center channel to the L or R channel, it didn't sound the same.

To me, I could never go back to non-timbre matched speakers again. Anyone want a pair of Klipsch KG4's in perfect condition?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If you can't afford the proper CC right away.... simply save your $$$ until you CAN afford it. There is nothing that says you can't use the phantom center setting for a while. It would be a LOT better in the long run to have the proper CC, not only for voice panning, but sound as well (like a car going from right to left or front to back).

Unless of course, you are ok with the Shelby Cobra sounding like a '97 Yugo as it goes across your TV screen.... only to have it sound like a Shelby once it disappears again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got me, honestly I don't know what Phantom center means. I have still following questions

1) What is Phantom center - I have Onkyo TX NR801 - Do I have a setting in it?

2) used OM-C2/used OM-C3/used Omni CC/ Omnisat V2 CC/ Omni Nano CC - which matches my Omnisats best

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Phantom center = no physical center speaker. Center channel sound is sent to the left and right, making it seem to come from between the two front speakers.

The setting on your receiver should be something like "Center speaker: None."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.