AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to wire my house correctly for a multi-room speaker system that I can control from a laptop through wireless ethernet.

I've wired houses before for regular ethernet as well as audio cables, but have never tried to combine the two.

What I am trying to do, is have each room able to play music independently either from the internet, or a network attached storage device. The trick is, I want to be able to control each room from a laptop, hopefully through some sort of web accessible multi-room player.

My only idea at this point is to connect a hardwired computer to the speaker system and then access that computer's player through a remote desktop program.

Does anybody have any other ideas? I don't even know what this type of system would be called. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Morgan

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 /forum/post/0

Sonos

I was thinking the same thing, but is there a web interface or a pc interface? I have not used sonos for any length of time so I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had never heard of it before. I'm looking at the details online, and it looks pretty neat. It's not exactly what I was thinking, but it sure seems a lot simpler and easier... And i'm still looking for the price tag.

Thanks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sonos Costs,

Zone Player 120 $499 powered zone player, powers a pair of speaker, you would need one per zone, one gets hooked up to the network, the rest communicate through the first with a mesh network, or you can get a Zone Bridge $99 to connect to you network if your ZP 120's aren't in a good location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm pretty big into automation and networking. I'm buying a new house and setting it up the way I want to, hence my original question. Also, I'm into saltwater fish tanks. An automated fish tank with an internet accessible controller and webcams will be my next project. But, at least there I have an idea of what I'm doing and what I need.

I just found this forum and the wealth of information here is amazing! Glad I can be here.

Thanks,

Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Nuvo also make a solution any of there units paired with a mpsp4 music server. A bit more flexible if you are going the home automation route since it can be controlled by hai, crestrion etc. I think the spin is a bit better also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts