AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading up on HD resolution standards and realized that most 42" plasmas use panels that run 1024x768. Yet, most mfg's claim that this is 720p HD.

How is this possible, when according to Wikipedia, the OFFICIAL resolution of 720p HD is: 1280x720?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Video_Standards.png

Vertically, there are enough dots but we seem to come up short horizontally.

Can someone please explain this?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
All fixed pixel displays have scallers in them, they scale all the supported input resolutions to the native resolution of the display. This is usually even true if the displays native resolution is 1280x720 and you are watching a 1280x720 image because most TV have build in Overscan which shaves off some of the pixels. (Some displays support 1:1 pixel mapping)

Picture Quality on a TV is much more dependent on color reproduction and contrast than on the actual pixel count and obviously the quality of the scaller so choose with your eyes or if you don't trust your own eyes do alot of research here on the particular display.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, horizontal resolution doesn't matter? That seems to go against convention.

If we just focus on the sharpness component of picture quality, wouldn't a standard 50" plasma that uses a 1366x768 panel yield a sharper image than a standard 42" plasma that uses a 1024x768 panel?

The 42" plasma would have to downsample a standard 1280x720 HD image to fit its panel and you would lose resolution & detail in the process. However, a 50" panel could map the image 1:1 and you would not lose a single bit of detail.

I think for optimum sharpness, you'd have to get at least a standard 50" plasma. I think the 42" plasmas have been shortchanging us w/o us even knowing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.92 /forum/post/0

Rectangular pixels, for starters.

Anything 720 or higher in the vertical domain is considered HD.

Rectangular pixels is how 42" plasmas achieve 16:9 AR, but rectangular pixels doesn't make up for the lower horizontal pixel count (1024 vs 1280).

From what's been said, scalers shrink the image down to fit the panel but, personally, I don't think I would consider any panel that is under 1280x720 resolution "true 720p" even though the standard discounts horizontal pixel count, which is beyond my understanding as to why they'd do that.

Maybe human eyes aren't as perceptive to sharpness in the horizontal plane vs the vertical plane....who knows?

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmasterta /forum/post/0

wouldn't a standard 50" plasma that uses a 1366x768 panel yield a sharper image than a standard 42" plasma that uses a 1024x768 panel?

Acutally the picture will be sharper on the 42" because the 42" has more pixels per square inch.

Pixel density for various sizes and resolutions:

42" 1024x768 pixels (36.1" x 20.4" screen area)

37.6 pixels per inch, vertical

28.4 pixels per inch, horizontal

1068 pixels per square inch

50" 1365x768 pixels (43.5" x 24.5" screen area)

31.3 pixels per inch, vertical

31.3 pixels per inch, horizontal

980 pixels per square inch

58" 1366x768 pixels (50.7" x 28.5" screen area)

27.0 pixels per inch, vertical

27.0 pixels per inch, horizontal

729 pixels per square inch

61" 1365x768 pixels (53.2" x 29.9" screen area)

25.7 pixels per inch, vertical

25.7 pixels per inch, horizontal

660 pixels per square inch

65" 1366x768 pixels (56.5" x 31.8" screen area)

24.2 pixels per inch, vertical

24.2 pixels per inch, horizontal

586 pixels per square inch

1920x1080 models:

50" 1920x1080 pixels (43.5" x 24.5" screen area)

44.1 pixels per inch, vertical

44.1 pixels per inch, horizontal

1945 pixels per square inch

65" 1920x1080 pixels (56.5" x 31.8" screen area)

34.0 pixels per inch, vertical

34.0 pixels per inch, horizontal

1156 pixels per square inch

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
But you have to admit, it is close and the 50" does have a higher horizontal pixel density.

It is very possible that a 50" will outdo a 42" in sharpness and detail.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have heard - and I believe it - that the eye is more sensitive to vertical resolution than horizontal resolution. The 42" panels have the greatest vertical pixel density of all, except for the 1080p 50" model.

The 42" 768 panel provides 20% greater vertical pixel density than a 50" 768 panel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 42" Panasonic plasma in the bedroom with 1024 x 768 and was concerned before I purchased the set. Since then I've decided to just enjoy the outstanding picture it produces instead of counting pixels.

Mike

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvalley /forum/post/0

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma in the bedroom with 1024 x 768 and was concerned before I purchased the set. Since then I've decided to just enjoy the outstanding picture it produces instead of counting pixels.

Mike

Among the saner comments I've found about any display in any fora I've visited.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:

Mike

I bought the 50" and was not concerned with the PPI numbers and am enjoying it even more than a 42"

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 /forum/post/0

I bought the 50" and was not concerned with the PPI numbers and am enjoying it even more than a 42"

I believe the detail you perceive from your display is going to be a marriage of the pixel density, screen size, and your particular viewing distance. My 15" Sony was the sharpest set I have owned but from say 16' the detail I can perceive is limited compared to a larger set more suited to the viewing distance.

So appropriate viewing distance I think has to come into play along with screen size when looking for detail or sharpness to be realized in practice.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

I believe the detail you perceive from your display is going to be a marriage of the pixel density, screen size, and your particular viewing distance. My 15" Sony was the sharpest set I have owned but from say 16' the detail I can perceive is limited compared to a larger set more suited to the viewing distance.

So appropriate viewing distance I think has to come into play along with screen size when looking for detail or sharpness to be realized in practice.

Cheers,

Gary

Yes....true but I can say for sure that a 42" would not be as nice from every area of my living room.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:

Mike

Same experience here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.