AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I understand from reading forums like this that the volume displayed on AVRs in dB is relative. I know that your -10dB is different than my -10dB, and that dBs are used to represent a ratio. Ive learned an relative increase in 10dB SPL conveniently requires 10x more power, and that percievably relates to twice the volume, but actual SPL is dictated by many other things (speaker efficiency, room shape/size, etc.).

What I have seen implied, but never found explicitly nailed down, is the answer to this question. Is it always true that if I turn my volume control on my AVR so the display reads 10dB higher (i.e. from -35dB to -25dB), I am now using 10x the power? Or does the dB value on my display indicate a ratio of something else entirely?

I'm sorry if I've missed this specific answer, but I did search first. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
When the Volume dB display is @ 0dB, this means when a 1V (RMS) reference test tone signal is inputted in, the AVR should deliver its rated output power into 8 Ohms @ the loudspeaker output terminals..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

1 - 3 of 3 Posts