AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the Bass Management is implemented on a channel analog signal from a CD player, when using the Direct mode. I use an external Parasound amp via the Denon's pre-outs.

I understand that Denon's "Direct" mode bybasses tone controls, which I prefer. However, the crossover for the subwoofer is still implemented. This isn't a big deal as I need a sub to supplement my main speakers. Is there an "Analog to Digital conversion then crossed over, then back Digital to Analog conversion" type thing going on?

With the newer Denon receivers, they have a Pure Direct (disables most unused circuits). Am I correct in assuming that the sub-out on the receiver is disabled, as any Bass Management is bypassed?

On a side note, those of you that have had upgraditus and bought a new (probably looking at the 3803) Denon receiver after owning an older one...have you noticed a big improvement on the processing quality? (not really interested in any amp section improvements)

Thanks for any info or opinions.

Matt

·
Registered
654 Posts
Matt: Denon receivers have a parallel bass management system for 2 channel analog signals. 2 channel analog signals are split into 2 identical analog halves. One half is passed on to the front main speakers. They receive an unfiltered, unaltered analog signal. The other half runs through an ADC and is then passed on to the subwoofer. Although you note you do want the sub, don't forget that you can disable it for just Direct mode if you want to by using the individual channel level adjustment and turning the sub down all the way to "Off".

I think the same thing occurs on Pure Direct. The only difference is that the video circuits and front panel are turned off, along with the tone controls being bypassed.

I went from a 3802 to a 3803 last fall and ran both as pre/pros only. I cannot swear that the different processor chips and DACs make an always audible improvement. I have read on some forums that some believe the 3803 is a bit brighter than earlier Denons. My ears don't agree with this position. At least not in my system. One thing for sure is that the 3803 is several notches better in the user friendliness department. On-screen volume display, multiple digital signal memories for each input, ability to turn off the sub in each mode individually and on and on.

Bottom line is that I've been VERY pleased with my 3803!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great reply HAN, that was exactly what I was looking for. There are a number of variables in system set-ups; I guess that may account for why some view Denon as having a 'bright' signature, and I often hear Denon as being described as 'warm'.

What are some thought's on the quality of the pre-amp section in regards to 2 channel analog source, specifically CD via Direct? I'm just struggling with what component is the weak link in my stereo production. I'm somewhat pleased, but occasionally there are some CDs that are pretty much un-listenable, very fatiguing. But on the same notion, there are some that are very surprising.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

I just read this re the pure direct mode. For digital sources it turns off all video capabilities for the analogue in's it turns off all video and digital sources. ( thats pretty pure)

Peter m.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Matt: As you said, overly bright sound can be attributed to the system. And of course, the room...

It's also my opinion that speakers are one of the biggest if not THE biggest variable in this equation. The pre-pro can have an effect on the sound but it's going to be small compared to speakers and the room itself.

My 3803 is in a setup that runs Vandersteen 2CE Signatures as mains. Definitely warm sound. So, with rare exception, I don't have too many overly bright CDs. I'm certain that if I was driving Klipsch or NHT speakers (2 examples of several brands that run brighter to my ears), I would have several CDs that would sound bright"ish". Of course, room treatment can also make a BIG difference. Carpet, wall hangings and purpose designed sound treatment doodads can tame treble to more acceptable levels.

My 2 cents...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.