AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 [/IMG]I was wondering how this was because I am a young kid (13) and I did this on my own paid for it and all so could I get some feedback that would be great the subwoofer is a Polk audio 12"and some 19 year old Bose speakers but they still sound great feedback?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayschultz27  /t/1525930/how-is-my-setup#post_24570749

I was wondering how this was because I am a young kid (13) and I did this on my own paid for it and all so could I get some feedback that would be great the subwoofer is a Polk audio 12"and some 19 year old Bose speakers but they still sound great feedback?

Looking good for a young starter
You just need to put that left speaker at the same height as the right one!

Fred

Reactions: jayschultz27

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It's a decent start.

You now have a long life ahead of you of spending lots, lots, lots and lots of money on audio equipment like the rest of us here.

Be prepared....very few will understand. But we don't care, neither should you.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Welcome Jay!

In addition to Fred's good suggestion you should also relocate your laptop. Blocking the vents on top of the receiver could cause both it and your laptop to overheat.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Best to start young, I did, a nice running start! Like Jfred says but put them both where the tweeters are at ear height (assuming you're not on the floor most of the time) and like henrich says, want to keep your gear running cool as possible for longer life. What speaker model is it? A 201? What receiver?

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,274 Posts

Congrats on your setup.  Couple of good tips so far.  Most kids your age have a blue tooth speaker, you have a nice setup for your age.  

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1525930/how-is-my-setup#post_24571018

Welcome to the forums. Best to start young, I did, a nice running start! Like Jfred says but put them both where the tweeters are at ear height (assuming you're not on the floor most of the time) and like henrich says, want to keep your gear running cool as possible for longer life. What speaker model is it? A 201? What receiver?

That stereo receiver looks like an old JVC. Like the RX-230R.

I too started young with JVC components! A RX-554VBK with JVC speakers, then a RX-884VBK with Cerwin Vega LS-15 speakers

I am missing those days...

Fred

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:

[/URL]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Those Bose are meant to be placed out some from the corner for best effect because of the way the tweeters are aimed. If you can shift your entire setup to the left a couple of feet, probably would work better.

And as others pointed out, get the speakers at the same height from each other

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayschultz27  /t/1525930/how-is-my-setup#post_24570749

I was wondering how this was because I am a young kid (13) and I did this on my own paid for it and all so could I get some feedback that would be great the subwoofer is a Polk audio 12"and some 19 year old Bose speakers but they still sound great

I'm really impressed that you put together and paid for that music system at your age. Looks like we have an audiophile in the making … that may be a good or bad thing
. I'm happy to hear that your 301s still sound great, but they are 19 years old. You might check on the condition of the cone and surrounds for each speaker. They will deteriorate and fall apart with age. One can, however, get them re-coned and re-edged for a reasonable amount of money. But I suspect when that happens, you will be looking for something else.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Not bad at all for a first system at 13. I got into the hobby at 15, so I remember trying to piecemeal things together. Just wait for the days where you'll have some cash to burn, having started so young it will be a ton of fun to watch your system evolve.

For what it's worth, you'll be surprised how long some of that gear may last you. My surrounds (which will be replaced soon) still date back 12+ years to my original setup.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
good job jayschultz27.... i9n the future as you grow and your system grows do the proper research.... you'll learn a lot right here at AVS.....

ENJOY MY FRIEND. ENJOY!!!

·
Banned
16,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayschultz27  /t/1525930/how-is-my-setup#post_24571754
[/URL] [/quote]

[/quote]

A 301, even better. One of my best friends has had his 301s for about as long as 20 years now that I think of it, he loves 'em. Are the surrounds (the foam around the drivers) still in good shape?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts