AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I too cant see how this is a tier1 and cant imagine any Lions Gate Film making it that far up the the chain, this is a awsome suround sound movie but I had to turn my receiver up 20+ dbs to come close to the sound of Xmen3 which is DTS, every movie should be in DTS! I own Descent and Crank, Crank is alot better in PQ but still cant be tier1.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight /forum/post/0

I just don't like the tonality of the movie. Much like the transfer of Talladaga Nights.

TN's picture was mostly flat, and you say the Descent is oversaturated. How does that work?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:

I just watched it on my PS3, 1080p to my Westy, and I didn't think it looked all that good. Nowhere near Brothers Grimm. The colors looked over saturated and there was alot of grain.

I hope that's a joke because The Brothers Grimm is one of the worst Blu-ray movies I have ever seen (so much so that I threw it out). Muddy colors, pumped up contrast, extreme posterization in scenes, extremely soft, etc.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brother Grimm Video Review:

"Given the dark and murky atmosphere of The Brothers Grimm, anything less than a superb transfer would have been a total mess. Fortunately, Disney has stepped up to the plate and offered The Brothers Grimm on Blu-Ray using the newer AVC compression codec on a transfer of an absolutely pristine print of the film. The print is perfect, without any of the dirt or grime that has been all too prevalent on many Blu-Ray releases thus far. Movies like this really show the benefits of high definition. Shadow detail is superb with the smallest visual details perfectly presented in even the darkest of scenes. There is a terriffic sense of depth to the picture that really pops off the screen. Black levels are rock solid and color accuracy is nothing short of phenomenal. I didn't detect even the slightest bit of edge enhancement, mosquito noise or macroblocking. And believe me, there are tons of scenes in this film that could have really fallen to pieces given a poor transfer. This is also the most natural presentation of film grain I've ever seen on home video. It is absolutely perfectly rendered - smooth and never distracting. Take for instance the many interior scenes in the film: I was particularly impressed with wall textures and fabrics. Just about every interior shot features some sort of textured stucco or plaster wall in the background. You can clearly make out every shadow and nuance of this texture. It's just really impressive stuff. Also pay particular attention to the costumes. I could clearly make out extremely fine fabric details and intricate design patterns. This is reference quality video and amongst the best I've seen on either HD format"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tier = subjective

...That said, I still appreciate the Tier thread as a 'Guide'...not 'The Holy Grail'...just a guide. And as a guide, it has provided me with excellent considerations, although I have not agreed with every tier rating. And that's because I appreciate that my own impressions of a movie are also subjective.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
^ it is usually a consensus. that the top tier titles (tier 0 specifically and high tier 1) look quite sharp and have the 3d pop.

though I don't agree with the placement of some titles either.

it is a good "guide" to find sharp and shiny flicks to demo.

all movies don't have to be sharp and shiny tho.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There were a few sceens were the picture broke up or it was artifacts, I cant tell which one

because im not technical in that sense. I saw a white spot fliker in Juno's face at the beginning of the movie. Personaly I just dont like LGFs gritty style, Crank seemed to be cleaner/different then any other LGF movie I own.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:

Brother Grimm Video Review:

"Given the dark and murky atmosphere of The Brothers Grimm, anything less than a superb transfer would have been a total mess. Fortunately, Disney has stepped up to the plate and offered The Brothers Grimm on Blu-Ray using the newer AVC compression codec on a transfer of an absolutely pristine print of the film. The print is perfect, without any of the dirt or grime that has been all too prevalent on many Blu-Ray releases thus far. Movies like this really show the benefits of high definition. Shadow detail is superb with the smallest visual details perfectly presented in even the darkest of scenes. There is a terriffic sense of depth to the picture that really pops off the screen. Black levels are rock solid and color accuracy is nothing short of phenomenal. I didn't detect even the slightest bit of edge enhancement, mosquito noise or macroblocking. And believe me, there are tons of scenes in this film that could have really fallen to pieces given a poor transfer. This is also the most natural presentation of film grain I've ever seen on home video. It is absolutely perfectly rendered - smooth and never distracting. Take for instance the many interior scenes in the film: I was particularly impressed with wall textures and fabrics. Just about every interior shot features some sort of textured stucco or plaster wall in the background. You can clearly make out every shadow and nuance of this texture. It's just really impressive stuff. Also pay particular attention to the costumes. I could clearly make out extremely fine fabric details and intricate design patterns. This is reference quality video and amongst the best I've seen on either HD format"

To bad none of that is actually true.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX /forum/post/0

To bad none of that is actually true.

The review is true if you are ok with film grain. If not, then it will bother you a lot.

This is why studios are rushing out the Video titles at this point --- normal people seem to like that look more.

I thought the grain in Grimm was not the best eye candy, but I agree that if the encoding job was not pristine, the thing will fall apart easily. It didn't, so it might be accurate.

Only people who have the digital master would know for sure.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Considering all the dark shots, this is a damn good looking disc....the film is a barker but hot dam, it has very few weak shots. When the HD Discovery Channel goes caving is it gonna look this good...?

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Well, I guess I'm just not impressed easily. I demand more from HD than mediocracy like this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.