AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Im getting my samsung p63c8000 2morrow and am looking to upgrade my current surround sound system which is a Onkyo 7.1 HTIB with the SR605 receiver.


I am interested in getting the current Amazon deal going on which includes the Harman Kardon HKTS 20BQ 5.1 speakers with the Yamaha 667 receiver for $699 total. I have read alot of great things about the receiver on this forum but couldnt find anything on the speakers.the reviews on amazon are good but would like to get some views on here.


So i basically have 4 questions answered below:


1.) Is that a good speaker system?


2.) Will i notice a big difference upgrading from the Onkyo SR605 HTIB to the above setup?


3.) Can i get a better setup than for $700


4.) If the Harman Kardon HKTS 20BQ 5.1 is good what are some recommend speakers i can add on for 7.1.



Link to Harmon Kardons: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...5FRCHD64B9QS6Y



Link to Current HTIB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakMan09 /forum/post/19642816


2.) Will i notice a big difference upgrading from the Onkyo SR605 HTIB to the above setup?

I'm pretty sure the SR605 will suit your HT needs very well, I see no reason for you to upgrade your receiver. It would be almost pointless IMO to buy a speaker package that includes another receiver. I would focus on upgrading your speakers and subwoofer piece by piece. Some say start with the subwoofer, I recommend picking a set of fronts and a matching center channel and move from there. Most speaker packages / HTIB's won't compare to purchasing separate components. Newegg has a good deal on the Polk Monitor Series II speakers, I would check those out.


If you don't have enough money to get all 7 speakers and a subwoofer now, get the fronts and center channel and a subwoofer, and use your current surrounds for now until you have enough money to upgrade. You won't be disappointed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 /forum/post/19643012


I'm pretty sure the SR605 will suit your HT needs very well, I see no reason for you to upgrade your receiver. It would be almost pointless IMO to buy a speaker package that includes another receiver. I would focus on upgrading your speakers and subwoofer piece by piece. Some say start with the subwoofer, I recommend picking a set of fronts and a matching center channel and move from there. Most speaker packages / HTIB's won't compare to purchasing separate components. Newegg has a good deal on the Polk Monitor Series II speakers, I would check those out.


If you don't have enough money to get all 7 speakers and a subwoofer now, get the fronts and center channel and a subwoofer, and use your current surrounds for now until you have enough money to upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

the sr605 would be fine, but i need a HDMI 1.4 capable receiver for 3D on my new tv. that is the only reason i am upgrading the receiver. The surround sound is for a 11 x 14 room and the current speakers i have were good enough for my movies and games, but the audio would distort at loud volumes and the speakers didnt have the greatest clarity, so i have $700 to spend and i want to get a noticeable improvement upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19644133


The Harman Kardon subwoofer is weak - and the sats are small.

Are you talking about $700 max on your budget for the speakers?

Go to www.crutchfield.com and look at the Infinity Primus P152

speakers and the PC250 center. Then look at the STF-2 subwoofer

at www.hsuresearch.com You can buy new surrounds later.


700 is my budget or the speakers and the receiver total. im not a audiophile and to me my onkyo HTIB sounded great as it was my first surround sound system. the receiver alone is 500 and the speakers i listed are 700 so i am basically getting the receiver free and the speakers have some good reviews on amazon i just want to know it they are decent for the price/deal and if i will notice some improvement from my Onkyo HTIB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,824 Posts
For a 11x14 room you may be happy - that sub is the weakest link.

Are you sure the receiver is coming with the package - did not see

that with your link.

The distortion will not leave the party with either system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19645990


For a 11x14 room you may be happy - that sub is the weakest link.

Are you sure the receiver is coming with the package - did not see

that with your link.

The distortion will not leave the party with either system.

here is the link to the deal:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000579581


if its atleast an improvement over my current sub i will be happy because my current one was decent for my needs.


but since it looks like most people and yourself recommend buying speakers and subs separate, if i were to spend the 700 on speakers and a sub only what could i get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
If (and I know it's a big if!) you could stretch your budget $50 - you could look at a few options that might fit your needs equally well (or possibly better).


Right now, I've seen the Pioneer 1020 receiver on amazon for ~360 shipped - by all accounts it's a great receiver (not sure how it compares directly to the Yamaha though).


For speakers/subs - the Energy Take 5.1 set, has been universally praised and @ $399 shipped isn't a bad deal - however it takes you to close to $800 for receiver/speakers/sub.


If you wanted to go with separates, you could look at Polk Monitor 30's - which you can usually find for $80/pair for your fronts/surrounds. The Polk Center channel (CS10) is around $80 as well. This would put you at $240 for speakers. Leaving you $100 to spend on a sub - which is on the low side. Again, if you wanted to stretch by $50 - you could look at the BIC v1020 for ~$150. This would put your total cost at roughly $750


As another option, you could look at a 5.0 set with a different sub. Newegg has a couple of nice Polk 5.0 sets for ~$200-$300, which would leave you decent money for the subwoofer. (there's a $200 set and a $230 set right now). The $230 set would put you at $360 + $230 = $590. Again, not a ton leftover for a sub.. but if you went with the $200 Polk, you could easily go with the BIC sub and be within sniffing distance of your $700 budget.


Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakMan09 /forum/post/19646237


here is the link to the deal:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000579581


if its atleast an improvement over my current sub i will be happy because my current one was decent for my needs.


but since it looks like most people and yourself recommend buying speakers and subs separate, if i were to spend the 700 on speakers and a sub only what could i get?

Go back to post #4


Also check this - go to www.ac4l.com and look at the Celestion speakers.

Under search type Celestion. Look at the F15 bookshelf speakers and the

F48 center. 2 pairs of bookshelfs and 1 center is $240. Then go to Amazon

and look at the Bic F12 sub for $200 - this makes it $440. Then look at the

refurbish receivers at AC4L and see what you can do - like the Onkyo TX-SR607.


My favorite at Best Buy, would be 2 pair of the B21 Bookshelf speakers and the

C21 center - then buy the Bic F12 sub. Then get a receiver - still around $700.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top