AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As on owner of a HD-DVD player and in light of recent news of Warner Bro's jumping ship I am thinking of going ahead and getting a blu ray player. I have a 360 and my game time is somewhat limited (wife, kids, job) you know all the things that keeps us men from being boys again, I feel if I get a ps3 to play BD on then I would also end up getting games and so on but if I get a stand alone...thats all you get. Is everyone happy with the ps3 as a BD player? does the ps3 output it at 1080p? any helpful feedback would be great!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is the best mainstream Blu-ray player, IMO. It works great. Has the fastest load times, is very responsive, handles all formats, 1080p, etc. It's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/12883101

As on owner of a HD-DVD player and in light of recent news of Warner Bro's jumping ship I am thinking of going ahead and getting a blu ray player. I have a 360 and my game time is somewhat limited (wife, kids, job) you know all the things that keeps us men from being boys again, I feel if I get a ps3 to play BD on then I would also end up getting games and so on but if I get a stand alone...thats all you get. Is everyone happy with the ps3 as a BD player? does the ps3 output it at 1080p? any helpful feedback would be great!

If you go to the BD Hardware forum, you'll see most agree this is the only BD player choice right now, as it's the only one that will be upgradeable to future BD compliances. Plus, it's the fastest and least-buggy player. And like you said, you get media streaming, Internet access...and oh yeah, those game thingy's.

Only thing PS3 is waiting for right now is DD/DTS MA support and maybe more native codecs...for those of us trying to stream to PS3. And I guess some complain about the remote, as it's got no IR so you need to use a separate, Bluetooth remote rather than being able to integrate it into any kind of current remote solution.

Considering you're trying to go format neutral, I'd say it was a no brianer for you because...oh yeah, it's also the least expensive BD player.

CD

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
With the exception of the Bluetooth remote (there are solutions to this - I bought the PS3IR on/off solution from www.schmartz.com and love it) and the silly shape of the PS3 (makes it hard to integrate into a traditional home theater "stack") - it's great!

Love my 40gb one I got - it's very quiet - probably even more quiet than my Toshiba HD-A35 hd-dvd - boots up faster, loads BD movies faster, is more responsive and is easier to upgrade the firmware.

Like you I have an Xbox 360 (and a wife and kids) and my playtime is limited but I'm very very happy with my PS3 purchase - only got Ratchet and Clank and UT3 for it so far - but both have been lots of fun for me even with my limited playtime.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It works fine as BD player. The only downside is if you get a unit with the "Noise and/or Heat Issue". I had one of the bad 60g ones, and it sounded like a hairdryer on "high" and threw off a ****eload of heat (actually made my 16x10 HT noticeably warmer, not good in the summer). The noise issue was a big nusiance during quiet dialog type scenes in movies. I sold it off, but I might buy a 40g in the near future.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I have a 60gig PS3 and, while it does have a fan to cool, it is quieter than my projector above my head.

THE PS3 IS THE BEST BD PLAYER PERIOD....only drawback is bluetooth remote; doesn't learn into your master remote. However, I have gotten used to the controller which is pretty good. There are remote solutions out there though...just search this forum. I believe the new 40 and 80 gig models are quieter and emit less heat....GO FOR IT

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's a good BD player...very fast and trouble-free.

The only downside is the lack of IR which can be added for minimal cost.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well lots of good feedback, thanks! seems like everyone has something to say about the remote
, which is lacking at my house now anyway (i have 5 seperate remotes)...I need to consolidate them to one.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness /forum/post/12883441

It works fine as BD player. The only downside is if you get a unit with the "Noise and/or Heat Issue". I had one of the bad 60g ones, and it sounded like a hairdryer on "high" and threw off a ****eload of heat (actually made my 16x10 HT noticeably warmer, not good in the summer). The noise issue was a big nusiance during quiet dialog type scenes in movies. I sold it off, but I might buy a 40g in the near future.

The heat/noise thing seems common but I think it is more a bug in the software than a hardware thing...

I'm trying to do some "testing" to figure it out but for now the system is quiet.....

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Its a terrific Blu-Ray player. Ive been very impressed with it.....however, I will warn you that it is a very tech savy system. My wife doesnt dare try and play around with it and the various settings. If you want to dabble in games then its the obvious choice. However, if its just about movies, you might consider waiting just a tad longer because great standalones are dropping in price all the time.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, the PS3 is a great BD player, however, if you want to upgrade the hard drive, it can also double as a Tivo box of sorts, if you have a TV Tuner/Media Center PC, as well as video conversion software, and a video streaming app. I haven't had any trouble with using my PS3 for both a BD player and/or a Tivo... Just need to make sure that you know how to convert TV recordings from a PC into a format that the PS3 can understand before copying it over to the PS3.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I bought a 40g model as a Blu-Ray player, I am a huge Xbox 360 fan boy and will never buy a game for the thing, and I can tell you that the picture is amazing. I only have 5.1, so I can't really talk about it's ability to do fantastic things with sound, but I can tell you that it's insanely fast playing movies.

On a product level, the thing is probably the coolest piece of electronic equipment I've ever had. It's fun to use it if that makes sense.

It's beautiful for one thing, but the little things - like that it has no buttons, you have to slide your fingers across symbols, just makes it fun to use.

It's also a nice media streamer in case your Xbox breaks like mine did (AKA the Winter Update made my video unstreamable from TVersity, though the PS3 still streams the same media perfectly).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldnt be streaming any videos or anything like that, just watching movies and playing a few games,,,motorstorm looks like fun.

Just before christmas the Best Buy in my town had stand alone BD players for $299, $100 less than the ps3....but like the hd A2 it was $98 at wally world but it also was only capable of 1080i..the hd player I have now does full 1080p, if your gonna go, go all the way.

Its just nice that no one has said..NO dont buy this thing, what about the 60 GB model being load and putting out heat? is this an issue? Believe it or not my 360 runs pretty quiet, whats the best model to purchase of a ps3?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've only read good things about the new 40g model. I should have put that in my post. It's silent. It's not quiet, it's silent. If i didnt look over (And I am sitting less than a foot from it, its on my computer desk) I wouldn't know it was on. It blows out cool air, which is nice because the hot air coming out of my xbox scares me. Some 60gs have been known to run hot and loud. The 40gs have a new fan and smaller chip which runs cooler.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The PS3 plays Blu-Rays!?

I kid, I kid. It is a great blu ray player and anything I would have to say about it has already been said above.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/12885706

Its just nice that no one has said..NO dont buy this thing, what about the 60 GB model being load and putting out heat? is this an issue? Believe it or not my 360 runs pretty quiet, whats the best model to purchase of a ps3?

I'd still lean toward the 40gb model if you don't have a need for the extra 2 USB ports, card reader and backward compatibility with the PS2. The general consensus is the 40gb is darn near silent.

You can always pick up an 80gb laptop hard drive for about $60 at Newegg and replace the stock 40gb with it if you need more room and still have less invested than a 60gb model (or 80gb model for that matter).

I wish I could say the same thing about my Xbox 360 Elite - I "thought" it was quiet until I fired up my 40gb PS3 the first time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts