AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WM9 release that came out today. First commercially released WM9 DVD, right?

Please post reviews.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Not having seen it perhaps its wrong of me to comment but... I would not expect too much from 1024x576... Thats PAL wide and not that shocking an improvement...

Heres looking forward to the T2 edition at substantially better rez...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just received mine and having played with it for the last half an hour these are my initial thoughts:
  • Video resolution is 1024x576, non-anamorphic;
  • The entire movie consist of 2 files of 1.8GB each. The standard VOB files are approx 5GB long including both AC3 and DTS soundtracks;
  • Video quality is not massively different to the standard DVD;
  • My audio card is connected to the A/V receiver via SPDIF. Only front L+R comes out, e.i. it does not down convert to 2-channel;
  • When playing for the first time WMP9 connects to the Internet an obtains authorization. Subsequent playback on the same machine do not require further contacts;
  • The part 2 of the original DVD needs to be present in the DVD drive for the authorization to proceed;
  • File can be copied to a HD and would subsequently play on the authorised machine without the original DVD being present;
  • PowerDVD, WinDVD and Cineplayer do not play the WMV file (even after the license is obtained).

Conclusion: We can easily live without this kind of technological progress!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Does playing via ZoomPlayer works (without first obtaining authorization?)?

I would imagine the DRM mechanism would kick in first, and not play. After authorization, then playback using anything that supports filtergraphs would be OK.

Also, someone posted a link to a non-DRM WMP9 - dunno the legality on that though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.