AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting one for use with my PS2 and GameCube. I heard that the color saturation is amazing, and that the clarity and sharpness are top notch. But at the same time, I heard that the black levels are not so great, and that there might be some motion blur or trailing.

Can anyone tell me if this set is great for gaming? I currently use a Sony 20" WEGA (KV-20FV10) using S-video, with a viewing distance of almost 7 feet. Would the upgrade to progressive scan component video widescreen be considered an upgrade or a downgrade, in your opinion, taking everything into consideration (contrast, black levels, response time, etc.). In other words, would this setup overall perform better than my current direct view CRT setup? Thanks!

· Registered
1,273 Posts
I haven't used my 42 for gaming but I've owned it since late October and have had HD cable since early January. I haven't seen any motion blur with sports or fast pased action. I think the black level thing is an obsession that doesn't necessarily mean alot in real time viewing. If you run through the RP, HTPC and the gaming forums, you'll find more responses that may speak better to your quest for info.

YMMV

· Registered
1,500 Posts
"I think the black level thing is an obsession that doesn't necessarily mean alot in real time viewing."

Yeah it does.

· Registered
31 Posts
I have looked at these sets in BB, CC, Sears. The 3 did various levels of tweaks. I don't see a big problem with the black levels. I also have not seen any trailling or motion blur on any of the sets. I was sure to watch some fast moving scenes for this very reason. Pic looks amazing to me. Want to pull the trigger on one this weekend if someone has a decent sale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.