AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use sageTV an HD-200 and placeshifter to extend full TV functionality to my living room, office, bedroom, etc.

I know that something like the xbox360 can playback recorded TV shows. However, does the xbox360 also offer the same interface as on VMC for watching TV (ie, using the Guide for setting up recordings, FF/REW live TV, looking up TV actor info while watching TV, etc).

PS: Does VMC/7MC have a TV tuner limit?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
the interface on the xbox is identical to the vmc/7mc one. think of it like a remote desktop.

the biggest difference between the xbox and the sage extenders are:

1. the xbox won't play ripped dvds

2. the xbox won't play ripped bds.

3. no netflix in mc on the xbox.

4. it is louder.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Derek. I know this is offtopic... but, does VMC/7MC offer something similar to SageTV placeshifter (ie, installing a small app to extend to a netbook)? I dont watch ripped DVDs or BD's.. just mkv, m2ts avc/vc 1080p ripped directly from BD.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
sort of. for the most part, vista/windows 7 can play the recorded tv files in media player, or you can run 7mc/vmc on the other computer and point it to the recordings directory and it would look and operate the same as on the main pc.

there are a few exceptions to this (cablecard recordings can't be shared and vista can't play win 7 files without extra sw).

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will VMC/7MC run correctly over wireless broadband (ie, Sprint EVDO 3G).. like the way slingbox does (ie, fast, dynamically adjustable bitrate).. this requires an extra transcoding feature; and what separates something like a Placeshifter client/slingbox clients from a full blown Media center. A dummy Media Player will just expect LAN-like bandwith all the time.

For example, I listen/glance at the morning live TV news on the way to work on my netbook to see traffic ahead, catch up on stock market, and news overnight. I'm not sure if that's even feasible with VMC/VM7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/17032276

sort of. for the most part, vista/windows 7 can play the recorded tv files in media player, or you can run 7mc/vmc on the other computer and point it to the recordings directory and it would look and operate the same as on the main pc.

there are a few exceptions to this (cablecard recordings can't be shared and vista can't play win 7 files without extra sw).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts