AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this movie but before i open it i want to get some feedback on how good the PQ is.

Thanks

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauheel05 /forum/post/0

I think it is excellent. WB used the master from the reissue (10th anniversary) dvd and it is damn good. You will definitely enjoy the picture.

I have the 10th aniversary DVD is it a noticable upgrade from that one?

· Registered
590 Posts
totally better, i'm just saying before they put out the reissue dvd, they cleaned up the master. They used the same master and encoded it for Blu-ray.

---------------------

I'm playing it through the PS3 on a 1080i 55" Mits. Total improvement from the SD DVD.

· Registered
5,002 Posts
Unforgiven looked fine to me. It's a little dark, so make sure whatever you're displaying it with can handle low blacks without crushing.

· Registered
919 Posts
I just watched this last night and there is no comparison to SD-DVD. The movie its self was decent, the PQ was just amazing. Especially the wide panoramic shots of the mountains, wide open fields, etc... those will just blow your mind. Nice and colorful and full of contrast. A lot is at night too, hell I think it was better then Batman Begins on HD-DVD, I don't know why so many people think so highly of that PQ, its good but maybe at the bottom of tier 1, I would personally put it in tier 2, but Unforgiven is better then that IMHO.

EDIT: Definitely don't be swayed by the Tier list, it is there for a purpose and I agree with all the placements of the movies, but do not let it stop you from watching a tier 3 movie you like. I just got done watching Unforgiven which is in Tier 2 and I thought the movie was phenominal. Just about any BD movie will be vastly superior then any SD-DVD movie you own, and you will love the improvement, yet the tier list is there to rank the best of the best.

· Registered
721 Posts
I just picked this up and have an audio issue. Every other sound, voices, ambient etc. sound fine, but gunshots are VERY low. I have only watched the last shootout at the bar and when he fires the shotgun it's almost a whisper, same for other weapons. I had to re-wind to make sure the audio had not dropped out. This is pretty dissapointing for a BD disc. I am using the PS3 as the player connected via HDMI to a Pioneer Elite VSX82.

Anybody have any input?

· Registered
493 Posts
Best Western in the last 20 years in high def....what are you waiting for? Plus, I think this is one of the titles in Amazon's Buy 1 Get 1 sale. So you can essentially get this movie for 10 bucks if you find another you like....

· Registered
17,159 Posts
Another good, but not great effort from WB. The sound should have been lossless.

Now that WB apparantly has gone Blu perhaps we'll see more consistancy with their releases in A/V quality. Lord knows they have more space to work with now.

Dan

· Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhender /forum/post/12694532

Best Western in the last 20 years in high def....what are you waiting for? Plus, I think this is one of the titles in Amazon's Buy 1 Get 1 sale. So you can essentially get this movie for 10 bucks if you find another you like....

I think not .... Wild Bunch beats it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/9449698

I have the 10th aniversary DVD is it a noticable upgrade from that one?

Decide for yourself

· Registered
482 Posts
You said
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhender /forum/post/12694532

Best Western in the last 20 years in high def....

Unforgiven was released May 2007 in hi def

Wild Bunch was released in Sept 2007 in hi def

If you had said "Best western made in the last 20 years" I may have agreed with you (although "The Missing" & "Dances with Wolves" were good)

But aside from splitting release date hairs, there have been very few westerns released in the past 25 years (even less of note) as the genre has been out of favour. Picking on Unforgiven as the best out of about 10 movies is not really saying much about the movie. I think it is one of the best over the last 50 years.

· Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99 /forum/post/12695258

You said

Unforgiven was released May 2007 in hi def

Wild Bunch was released in Sept 2007 in hi def

If you had said "Best western made in the last 20 years" I may have agreed with you (although "The Missing" & "Dances with Wolves" were good)

But aside from splitting release date hairs, there have been very few westerns released in the past 25 years (even less of note) as the genre has been out of favour. Picking on Unforgiven as the best out of about 10 movies is not really saying much about the movie. I think it is one of the best over the last 50 years.

The movie won Best Picture in 1997. Are you really disputing whether it's a good movie?

And my quote was "Best western in the last 20 years (being shown) in HD". You know what I meant, way to totally play semantics. God, people here just love to argue...about nothing at all.

· Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhender /forum/post/12695599

The movie won Best Picture in 1997. Are you really disputing whether it's a good movie?

And my quote was "Best western in the last 20 years (being shown) in HD". You know what I meant, way to totally play semantics. God, people here just love to argue...about nothing at all.

Unforgiven was released in 1992. Anyway, the movie itself makes up for any potentially bad PQ it has (I recently got it for Christmas, but have only watched it on DVD - the original single disc release, at that).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.