AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize there are options to automatically switch the video output between 60Hz and 24Hz.

However, let's say to avoid the hassle I want to set it at 24Hz and leave it, so that whenever I start a DVD or BD, it's ready.

What happens to video that is 60Hz, e.g. broadcast 1080i/60Hz MPEG2 stream (NBC, etc.), or 720p/60Hz (ABC)? How is this processed to get to 24fps for output?

Everything I read is about how to get to 24fps with film material, but nothing about this scenario.

The underlying assumption here is my system is fully 24fps capable (Nvidia 9400 output set at 24fps, TV accepts 24Hz and displays 72Hz, i.e. 3:3).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I had very jerky playback sending 30fps video over 24p, but that was on my "ancient" XP system and the codecs may have been the culprit.

I'd expect bad things on anything sourced from video, and possibly anything sourced from film but broadcast in 1080i.

Good cadence-detection deinterlacing might help with the latter, but as far as I know most work there has focused on getting 60p to work best and not on other refresh rates.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
yeah watching a 720p60 show at 24fps is going to be jerky mess (Assuming it's actually 60hz and not 24hz telecined to 60hz)

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Inverse Telecine can be used to extract the origional 24fps film content from 720p or 1080i broadasts that are film based and not broadcast based. You can read about it in the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

PC application movement such as mouse movement or dragging of windows will appear jerky when output only at 24fps.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should really try to get auto refresh rate switching to work. Is there a x64 application that does this? Reclock will work but it's only x86.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts