AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between a direct view and a LCD RPTV. I am thinking of a KDF-42WE655, but I was wondering if anyone knows how long you can leave the set on at one time, without harming the bulb. My Pany 300 Projector book recomends not more than 10 continuous hours without shuting it off to let the bulb cool down. (My wife is not able to take care of herself and sometimes our current direct view TV runs for 2 days without being shut off.)

Thanks !!!!

· Registered
2,946 Posts
For the LCD RPTVs I've seen, there is no recommendation about how many hours you can leave the set on continuously. Obviously, every hour on the bulb is one hour closer to its eventual demise, but I'm not sure that there is a "peak continuous threshold" beyond which those hours start to count as overtime.

· Registered
235 Posts
We have all 3 Sony LCD's on our display floor and they are all 12 hrs a day 7 days a week. We have had them going like this for the past 6 months with no problems.

· Registered
69 Posts
It may very well be that leaving the TV on all the time (or at least for long stretches) is *better* for the lamp life than turning it on and off for 30 minute durations 4-5 times per day. Once the lamp is on, it's doing what it was designed to do. It's during the start and stop times that it's probably being stressed out.

Of course, this is random simplification and speculation on my part, but what the hell, that's nothing new around here. :)

· Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcoe
We have all 3 Sony LCD's on our display floor and they are all 12 hrs a day 7 days a week. We have had them going like this for the past 6 months with no problems.
Rcoe,

Do you work at a retail electronics store?

Just curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.