AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with the Dish 5000 possibly being put out to pasture, and the 6000 needing an upgrade, how long will it be before the DTC-100 needs the same thing? Has DirecTV announced any plans for firewire, or other protection schemes?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It could be a while, since if they do away with DTC100 reception by going with Broadcom boxes, they will also probably have to replace every other HD STB as well. My guess would be two years if the Echostar merger goes through and much longer if it does not.

My guess is that the next generation will have recordable Firewire outputs with digital copy protection.

This won't make the DTC100 obsolete as much as it will have fewer features.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've been holding on to my DTC-100 because nothing has come along yet that really was a no-brainer, obviuosly better upgrade. So I guess I'll hold out until the next generation boxes, whenever that is. The fact that I'm an all RGB house makes the DTC more appealing to me also, since its one less widget in the chain.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The "next generation" DirecTV boxes already have been announced, more or less. The new HD reference design is being put on tne market by Sony and several others, and it contains a DVI output but NOT a Firewire. Zenith is doing one also, probably anyone who produced a first-gen box will ship one of these without any major changes, unfortunately.

I'd love to wait for a Firewire-equipped DirecTV box, but it doesn't sound good, looks like we'll be waiting for the NEXT-next-generation :(

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I guess it depends on how much better they are in other respects as to whether I'd bother. I'll see what the comments are. If I could get one that's RS-232 controllable, I'd upgrade just to be able to do a CQC driver for it. Some of the non-HD ones are, though its not well advertised. It would be nice if some of the HD ones were, and it was officially supported (or IP based would be fine as well.)

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Innerloop
The "next generation" DirecTV boxes already have been announced, more or less. The new HD reference design is being put on tne market by Sony and several others, and it contains a DVI output but NOT a Firewire. Zenith is doing one also, probably anyone who produced a first-gen box will ship one of these without any major changes, unfortunately.

:(
Can you provide a link where you found the above information please?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My DTC-100 is working perfectly and gets excellent results with my Sony 10HT.

To force an "upgrade" to another reciever, I would need a good reason.

The units rolling out now with DVI have a nasty drawback...lenth is limited to 6'!!! No way around it.

I do have both YPbPr (component) and RGBHV running into my 10HT (as well as composite and S-Video), so, unless DirecTV and local stations refuse to support my rcvr, I have no need to change modeles.

-Warlock

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
Now with the Dish 5000 possibly being put out to pasture, and the 6000 needing an upgrade, how long will it be before the DTC-100 needs the same thing? Has DirecTV announced any plans for firewire, or other protection schemes?
5 minutes after someone comes out with a cheaper box with the same

or better capabilities.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Multiple years.

Primary definition of obsolete from dictionary.com:

ob·so·lete Pronunciation Key (bs-lt, bs-lt)

adj.

No longer in use: an obsolete word.

Most of the original RCA DirecTV receivers, that came out in 1993, are still in use.

The DTC-100 will continue to be used by most owners until either:

A. The hardware fails

B. Some change in OTA and DTV signal transmission makes the unit

incapable to receive and process a signal into a picture

C. Some new product enters the market that is very cheap and offers

better features and/or capabilities.

No action today on either B or C. If your unit fails, DTV will send you a new one for about $50.

Ed

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Quote:
5 minutes after someone comes out with a cheaper box with the same or better capabilities.
Another one for the Moore's Law list.:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
When DirecTV turns on the Down-Rez bit and makes the DTC-100 a down-scaler for HD content.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdtv_moron
When DirecTV turns on the Down-Rez bit and makes the DTC-100 a down-scaler for HD content.
That will effect some, but not all. OTA will still work, and a fair percentage use DTC100 units just for OTA.

Ed

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My DTC-100 is one of those Ed. It decodes the OTA network broadcasts wonderfully well, despite an antenna and connection of dubious merit. I wish all the channel mapping was flawless and such, but -- boy -- for the few shows in HD, I can't imagine needing to replace the box anytime soon.

As for HBO and HDNet I'm missing, I think about them sometimes, but really not too often. It's not even worth $5 per month to me to get HDNet, let alone $12 or so to get HBO.

mark

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdtv_moron
I keep seeing people talk about this as if it's already been decided that all satellite HD is going to be image constrained. I don't believe it. It think that at least for the next 2-3 years (probably 5) all the HD programming that is currently available on DirecTV will still be available (non-image constrained). If anyone has an official anouncement (with timetable) regarding specific content that will no longer be available in HD with the current STBs, please post a link. I think people are getting a little bit carried away about what MIGHT happen in the future.

Jay

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
I keep seeing people talk about this as if it's already been decided that all satellite HD is going to be image constrained. I don't believe it. It think that at least for the next 2-3 years (probably 5) all the HD programming that is currently available on DirecTV will still be available (non-image constrained). If anyone has an official anouncement (with timetable) regarding specific content that will no longer be available in HD with the current STBs, please post a link. I think people are getting a little bit carried away about what MIGHT happen in the future.

Jay
Hey dude. Pull your head out of your @$$ and get a clue. Did I say it WAS absolutely for sure cross my heart stick a needle in my eye going to happen? I don't think so!

If you had read the thread topic question then you would have seen that it was "How long before DTC-100 to be obsolete?"

I think I answered the question better than anyone else. If you are right and the bit never gets set then as far as I'm concerned the DTC100 never will be obsolete.

Geeesh! :rolleyes: Maybe next time before spouting off you could make an attempt to read the thread title and stay on topic. Talk about getting a little bit carried away!

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

As for HBO and HDNet I'm missing, I think about them sometimes, but really not too often. It's not even worth $5 per month to me to get HDNet, let alone $12 or so to get HBO.

mark
I am sure that is fine for you but HDNet and HBO-HD is well worth the money IMO. Sopranos alone is priceless.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
And something like oh the Bikini Destinations that's about to come on in a half hour :) HDNet is definitely worth it. When you want to see (or show off) the stuff that makes HD a quantum leap, its most likely going to be on HDNet.

BTW, I got my HDNet t-shirt yesterday (figured what the heck, wear it now while its still off the beaten path), and got a number of "what the heck is HDNet" queries at work today. That probably did more to get some people interested than anything else I've done so far.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Ouch, maybe its not so good an idea to be able to see Bikini Destinations in HD :) Somebody just go ahead and shoot me. Man, if there was anything to the ability to control other people at a distance with your mind, it would have just happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.