AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, how long do you suspect, and not counting keeping old hardware such as VCRs and older DVD players, will CRTs become totally obsolete? I have 4 of them and, unless they totally die, can't let go of them. I am just seeing all this stuff about component video being phased out and such. Is it time to heave the CRTs or do I have some time?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I think it's all a personal choice. Tubes and VCRs can be hardly seen in stores. I don't think there will be any set date when neighborhoods have a sidewalk party and everyone puts them in the recycling bin at the same time or something.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/18208253

Just curious, how long do you suspect, and not counting keeping old hardware such as VCRs and older DVD players, will CRTs become totally obsolete? I have 4 of them and, unless they totally die, can't let go of them. I am just seeing all this stuff about component video being phased out and such. Is it time to heave the CRTs or do I have some time?

Thanks

If you are happy with your CRTs and they work for you, then I see no need to get rid of them. If they have component video inputs, you can try using a device like the HDFury2 to enable HDMI compatibility with things like Bluray players, etc.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
CRT's have their place and unfortunately these days the production of CRT's is not what it used to be.

CRT projectors and RPTV's are capable of incredible picture quality and there is still a market for front projectors due to their superior picture vs every digital projector system that has thus far came out and you can still buy CRT front projectors often refurbished or used rather than new because they are the ultimate projector to use for a home theater room when setup correctly.

direct view CRT is pretty much dead asside from some super low end sets sold in stores like walmart and that is because nobody wanting to spend the extra cash on a small HDTV (30" size range) want to have a giant set even though the sony HD direct views had amazing picture quality exceeding any LCD TV made and sold today.

CRT RPTV is dead because its too high maintenance for every day TV use, they have the potential for an awesome picture rivaling Plasma in detail while having even better motion resolution but the problem that CRT RPTV has always suffered from over time is degradation of picture due to many factors. optics get dirty, coolant gets contaminated and cloudy and convergence drifts and needs to be adjusted. if you keep a CRT RPTV up in these aspects they can outperform many displays sold today in many respects but the simple fact is people don't want to put that kind of money or effort into their TV and the result is even though the TV is 5-10 years old and still functioning it looks blurry and terrible due to lack of maintenance

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Heave them. Time to move on.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There is no reason to replace your CRT TVs as long as the provide the functionilty you need. I have 4 in my home and intend to keep them for years or untill my cable company no longer provides the local broadcast channels over analog since due to local geography I am unable to receive any local OTA broadcasts.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I gave away a 32" CRT TV a year or so ago. I have no use for anything that's not HD, so I gave it to my neighbor. I still have a CRT that's HD and it doesn't have DVI or HDMI input, but looks good with component cables. I think component video will be around for at least 5 more years.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When something better on every level replaces these technologies, they will disappear. Plenty of production houses still use CRT as their reference standard.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting feedback. I just can't throw away something that still works fine. But, on the other hand, I have seen all the HD flat screens and am in love with them. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts