Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to hear from others...

Think about the first time that you actually considered purchasing a plasma. Now from that moment, how long did it actually take you to purchase your first plasma?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
2 weeks. Maybe 3. I suppose I had an inkling I was going to actually do it a week or two earlier than that as I plotted out refinancing the mortgage to pay off the remodeling charges amassed on my credit cards, but really thought I'd just look and dream and move on.

I was hampered by having to play the brick & mortar game or it'd have happened sooner. :)

·
23,031 Posts
About 3 days. I had been looking for a new "TV" for about a month

or two and had successively ruled out various technologies for various

reasons and when I decided/rationalized on getting a plasma, it

didn't take long. What helped make it fast was that I was able to

see a P50, Pio 5030(?), Panny 42 ED, and Elite 42" basically side by side

in one store. I had already seen a Elite 50" in a few other places.

larry

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've been casually looking at a plasma for at least a year, but seriously

researching about 3-4wks before actually taking the plunge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I first took note of plasmas last summer when I was struck by a 50" pio at BB. When my fiance said "Oh, I like that one!" it became a mutual daydream, but waaaay too much money for a TV. Soon after that, I invested some money in a few stocks, and one became our "plasma" stock. We joked that if that stock hit it big enough to pay for the plasma, that's what we would use it for.

Last fall the stock started moving, and when it increased to about half the price of the plasma, I start doing some research around Thanksgiving and discovered the AVS forum. Then it was a matter of crossing our fingers and waiting. The stock hit the magic number in late March, so I had about 4 months to prepare.

Like so many others have found, research into plasma evolved into research on DVD players, A/V receivers, HDTV tuners, OTA antennas, and surround sound speakers! And let's not forget a new cabinet to put all that stuff in and a stand for the panel. Plenty to keep me busy while waiting for the plasma.

·
Registered
143 Posts
About a year before the pricing and advances in technology were there for me. After first seeing one about two years ago, I knew someday it would be my next TV, especially with HDTV coming on the scene.

Pete...

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Time to Order: 2 months 14 days 14 hours 15 mins 37 secs

Time to Delivery: 13 days 17 hours 25 mins 45 secs:confused:

Time to Setup: 35 mins 52 secs

Time to Calibrate: 42 mins 15 secs

Total time to first DVD......too damn long.;)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Great question. It took me 9 months back in 2001. We did not have many choices those days.

If I were to consider now, it would take much less time.

My next purchase will be in the 1080p category and I am not sure how long I will resist to buy one.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Agreed, great question.

I loved plasmas from the moment I caught a glimpse of one, but never thought I could afford it...

I won my first plasma in a bid (they have this monthly newspaper here where you can bid on brand new equipment). I won at a price I couldn't believe a plasma could be purchased for...

Of course, after about 4 months I was clamoring for a BETTER plasma. That took almost a year to obtain (get someone to purchase my plasma, find a good plasma at a reasonable price to replace my old one...).

MAB,

We ALL want a 1080p plasma...

·
Registered
465 Posts
11 months or so on this forum learning about manufacturers, models, Class A vs B, burn-in, commercial vs consumer, ghosting, DVI-HDCP and its possible future impact, visits to Tweeters, BB and CC. Finally ordered last Monday. This forum is just a tremendous resource and thanks to all for your patience and help.

jack

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
One year.

I was looking at plasmas about two, two and a half years ago when the Panasonic's came on the scene and shook things up with their superior picture quality (at that time). Plasmas were veeerry expensive, and doubly so for us Canadians.

My wife, who would be happy with a 12" TV wasn't about to come aboard my dream easily. So, I saved ever bit of over-time, every bit of serendipitous money that didn't come directly from my pay cheque for one year. I also sold off a bunch of my high-end audio gear I wasn't using.

I used that year to research plasmas and demo everything out there - as well as look at competing technologies to see if anything would shake me from my insanity.

Result: after a year I bought the plasma, and was able to tell the wife without crossed fingers that the vast majority of it's cost didn't come out of my regular pay cheque.

It was a great decision. I've been able to enjoy the thrills and spills of being an early adopter. The spills: Price. The thrills: feeling like George Jetson every time I fire it up. Owning one of these things makes you feel you're living just a tiny bit into the future of your fellow man. We futuristic plasma owners should appear in white robes, or better yet gray turtle-neck uniforms of undetermined stretchy material, reaching out the common man: "Come...join us....."

And, when it comes time to replace the plasma they'll be, what, two bucks each in five years? Or something....

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
About 6 months. I'd already seen a early generation plasma a few years back at a software trade show running a demo and I'd been wanting one since (but they were so far out of our price range at that time that it wasn't a real consideration). It was only the year before last that prices went low enough to put plasmas within reach, though we had to sell a lot of vintage toys to raise the money (this was stuff we'd be mostly selling anyway, but we picked up the pace on it). We spent a lot of our weekend time scanning, listing and packaging toys (and lurking here at AVS researching). At first we were looking at both Panasonic and NEC, but later decided on the Panny 4uy. I think this is the only real 'luxury' purchase we've ever made.

·
Registered
794 Posts
6 months here. But, those 6 months were really very busy. I would say on average about 3-4 hours daily on thorough research and site visits. I think that I am enjoying my Panny as much as I do because of the countless hours spent on educating myself about plasmas and stuff...

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Saw one years ago but out of most price ranges and hidden in back of tweeter.In November I saw the 8 thousand dollar 4330 in tweeter and loved it but only as a fantasy till I found AVS forum and the reality and price of the 433cmx.In February after daily life on the forum I called Lisa and now its mine.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
About 5 months. It only took me a few weeks to convince myself, but I had to convince my wife. Also, we were in the middle of some major home remodeling. Now we are both extremely happy with our decision.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Actual research time is going on about 2 months. I've been following plasmas for a few years now, though. I probably would have pulled the trigger already, but I have a loan I promised myself I'd finish paying off before doing so.

So for now, I sit and wait, most impatiently till that last payment scheduled in July. I guess the good thing about that is the new Panny models (I'm at about 70% Panny 30% Pio in my decision at the moment, though prone to change) are due out in July, so I have a good excuse to wait on them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.