AVS Forum banner

How long did you research before buying?

• Less than 1 Month

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • 1 to 3 Months

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • 3 to 6 Months

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • 6 to 12 Months

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • 12 Months and counting!!!!!!!

Votes: 40 28.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Went with "12 months and counting," even though I've purchased. By my reckoning, it was a 14 month journey from "interested in buying, start researching" through buying and returning [way too many] models before finally settling on my favorite (Panasonic TH-42PH9UK).

·
Registered
986 Posts
Nearly a year and bought the Maxent. Go figure. The technology was not worth $3500 for a Panasonic. Certainly not the content. Been satisfied.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Pretty much been follwoing the plasma technology since it's inception - just waiting for my price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Took me three years from when I decided I'd like to get a high-def TV to replace my 27" until last week when I finally found one I was happy with / got sick of waiting, and bought the Pioneer PDP-5070HD. Didn't actively research the whole time, but in spurts throughout. For the longest time I thought they were too expensive, and even when you paid, they still all had enough issues that you shouldn't have for the amount you were paying, regardless of which technology you went with. And there was a part of me that was saying "just one more year, just one more year" even now. But eventually you gotta buy or you'll never enjoy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took me 3-months investigating what plasma to get. When I made my decision I got a Hewlett-Packard PL4245N back in March 2005. Good cosmetic appearance {Which was the most influential factor to get it} bad everything else.

Awful load buzzer, extremely hot. Bad PQ settings... if there was any PQ in that thing, I never found it. that TV use to forgot the settings every other time I turn it off and when back to factory defaults when turn it on It was a pain in the rear.

The poor sucker lasted 6-days, got another one and that one had the same problems but lasted 29-days, just in time to take it back and get another brand, which I did. My first plasma wasn't a good decision as with my first LCD. I let the Glossy Black and heavy silver stand blind me.

My first LCD was a much better decision. This was the first flat panel I ever owned a Philips 30PF9946D that I purchase on February 2005 online from that big membership warehouse. Everything was awesome with that set but after sometime, I took it back because I got tired of it.

Now I have all different sets, including the replacement for the two bad HPs-- a Philips 42PF9966. because I have made a promise to myself I wasn't going to rely on looks only, but also in PQ, features, reviews and price, of course .

·
Banned
2,969 Posts
I voted 6 to 12 months but it was actually 12 months of research before I bought an HD LCD TV. I bought the Olevia 537h and have not had any regrets and I used this forum almost exclusively to research all the Tv's.

·
Registered
221 Posts
2.5 months for me. My CRT started failing in October, so I spent the first month educating myself on the differing technologies, pros and cons for LCD/plasma/DLP. During the next month, I started tracking prices and specs on individual TVs, and started visiting stores to check out picture qualities, along with reading reviews and criticisms of each TV on this forum. In the final two weeks, I figured out which TVs were among the finalists, and then I finally made a decision at the local store, based off what I saw, what the salesman told me, and what they had in stock. Ended up getting a Samsung 4253 plasma, and am happy for the most part. There are a few things I don't like about it, but they're minor quibbles that I can live with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.