AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing some really lofty numbers in specs. Trying to get a feel for how long these things last in the real world. I'm guessing this real world information will make decision making easier. If I get enough responses I can manage a google doc with pie charts etc.

Please state your projector name, model & last (and/or current) lamp bulb life.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My old HC3000 usually got around it's rated 3,000 hours in low mode, though my current lamp has around 4,000 hours on it and it's still going strong but slightly dim. I have a really old projector that I used before and then gave it to a friend who used it as a TV replacement... that thing is only rated for 2,000 hours but easily has 5,000+. My HC4000 lamp died around 4,000 hours as well, though that was with low lamp mode, so technically it died 1,000 hours below spec. Then again, I've seen a few go after a couple hundred hours. It's really a mixed bag.
In my experience, if the lamp will die prematurely it will do so in the first few hundred hours. After that you're probably safe for the rated life of the lamp. Just be sure to take care of it, like not moving the projector after it's been used until it cools down. If you have frequent power outages, get a UPS for it...etc.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm seeing some really lofty numbers in specs. Trying to get a feel for how long these things last in the real world. I'm guessing this real world information will make decision making easier. If I get enough responses I can manage a google doc with pie charts etc.

There really is no reason worry about it. If you can use low lamp (projector has sufficient light for screen size) you will get the rated life as long as the manufacture does not have design issues. If you buy a knock off replacement lamp it will fail shortly if it works at all.. Why does it matter? If you are buying a quality unit the lamp will last the rated hours if not abuses (see previous post) If there is manufacturing issues (JVC and Epson had some issues a few years ago) it is normally know about and taken care of. Lamps are consumables and part of life if you want a big screen experience in your home.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

The bulbs dim significantly over time, replacing isn't necessarily a function of failure.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Epson HC2000 current price $599ish, new(ish) no cool down lamp, 2876 hours (eco setting) on it with no visible dimming (I bought a second HC2000 a few weeks back and saw no difference in image brightness.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts