AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
It is a slow degradation process. Their are a lot of variables such as contrast and brightness settings. Usually you should get at least 20,000 hours before you loose considerable brightness. But based upon your settings it could be a lot less.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have an old and very much used RCA 19" tv that is 22 yr`s young !!

It is still going strong and see no reason for it not to continue to do so.

Only input is cable , thats it.

It has been used a lot over the years, never had any type of service.

It has been move from here and there and back again.

The thing isn`t pretty , but it works and is a great bedroom tv.

It has seen video games ( sometimes all nighters :D ) plenty of VHS and sometimes not shut off for days !! The thing is a tank .

·
Banned
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
I've seen CRT sets still going strong at 20+ years.
Our familys CRT went bad in 1984 after a 20+ year run. My current HDTV has 22057 hours which roughy translates to 2.51 years. The rule of thumb is your total hours divided by 24(day) then the total being divided by 365(year), gives you your current plugged in time. I hope this helps

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
They don't make 'em like they used to. The great old 1970s and 1980s designs seem to last forever. But a lot of the modern Chinese-made sets seem to die after only a few years.

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
They don't need to build them to last 20 years any more. WHO in their right mind in the year 2025 will have a big ugly box sitting in the middle of the room somewhere? By then plasma, LCD, DLP, and many new space/apperance concious monitors will be available and cost less. A CRT will be like an 8-track tape deck in a matter of years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
CRTs are tried and true, that much is clear. My old Trinitron was about 10 years old when I finally decided, it wasnt going to just die on me, but I had to upgrade. I still have the set and watch mostly VHS or low grade material on it, cause it actually looks a lil better for that than my XBR910 does. But Ive always run my old Sony with low picture output, I think thats helped it along its life. The most noticable signs are its colors are washed out, and its lost a good degree of sharpness.

-DeathCom

·
Registered
23,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Artisn
. A CRT will be like an 8-track tape deck in a matter of years.
CRT's have been around for over 50 years. Can't use the 8 track analogy.

In 2025, no one have a TV at all.

You will all have 'implants'.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The one thing they will kill your for on other forums is when you challenge any of the other technologies to a durability face-off with Direct-view CRT. Leave all the technologies on 24 hours a day until the last one still has a picture. I gurantee you it will be Direct-view CRT. The reason they don't want anyone to know this is because they want to sell more sets and they don't want to respond to consumers bemoaning the other technologies' durability. That way they can make more money!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Artisn: If I worked for any of the Video Display manufacturers I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't the dumb Video Consumers know it is their responsibility to buy things that don't last so more sales can be made? I'm sure if Detroit could make cars that self destructed after 3 years they would, so they could sell more cars. It never ceases to amaze me the arguments that insult the consumer's intelligence--all in an attempt to generate higher sales. It may amaze you Artisn but some people in our country don't have enough money to buy displays on a more often schedule--and even if they could adjust to being FORCED to buying them more often, that would be money they wouldn't spend somewhere else. Is that moral? Do you think John Kerry or George Bush would advocate spending more money on displays and less money to help our fellow man--either by the government ala Kerry or Bush ala the private sphere? Now I don't know about much, but I do know that if both the Left and the Right are on the same side, then that side has a good chance of being just. More durability=more money for other things that make FREEDOM RING!

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
Ratman - I hear ya, "implants"!

Artwood - My point was that in 20 years there will be no big CRT boxes around any more. Cost has nothing to do with it. I speak of the future.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hope at least one of those new flat technologies is not fixed res :\\ (sorry I keep bringing that up, but the dynamic scalability that CRT's have seems to be under-appreciated on this forum)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It's appreciated but let's get serious. The Video Display Industry has to KILL off CRT to make more money on other technologies. There are as many Direct-view CRT fans on this forum as there ever was. Different resolutions is one area where the manufacturers decided no to pursue. Princeton Graphics made a display that YES folks could display BOTH 720p and 1080i NATIVE!!!. Let's see any of the great technologies like RP LCD, DLP, or Plasma do that trick. They can't! Why don't we see Direct-view CRTs built that way--it would cost a little more, but it would absolutely KILL fixed display technologies--people wouldn't want them fixed anymore. It would be NICE if an American Display Manufacturing company could offer us that option. That's the price you pay when you FARM out technologies to other countries--bottom line--less choice. Our only hope now is that the Chinese or the Koreans can offer us what the Japanese will not. They can't do it now, but a few years down the road they will. So what am I saying? I hate the international market and I love it!

·
Registered
183 Posts

Originally posted by Artwood Princeton Graphics made a display that YES folks could display BOTH 720p and 1080i NATIVE!!!
Oh crap, any links on that? :)

·
Banned
45 Posts
After watching all those ancient reruns of the Jetsons why aren't we riding on Luke Skywalker type of floating on air cars instead of gas fed piston engines and rubber tires? The great wide screen view of my crt and with no $300 buck lamps burning out every 1000 to 3000 hours I would rather keep what I have, even if it has to be rebuilt piece by piece. !953 Corvettes are 50+ years old but what they are worth would buy you a hell of a amount of toys, which will become dust collecters theselves in time.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I think CRTs will eventually be replaced by LCDs. Eventually they will be cheaper to produce and they are much lighter. Also from what I have read CRTs have a problem producing very detailed HD pictures because of the trade off between aperture size and needed brightness.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My 32" Panasonic CRT is 10 years old. It's on about 6hrs per day, five days a week and about 12hrs on weekends. It's still running fine. Colors are still look brilliant and I didn't turn down picture controls until about 3 years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.