AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just wanted to take a poll about the JVC DVHS and how long people have gone without seeing major glitches. Also I'm wandering when your unit was purchased if it is still working

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those all 1 of you that the unit is still functioning could you enlighten us as if there are any problems or if you are taking any preventive measures or frequent headcleanings etc.., ?

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I've had no major glitches. I use the Maxell VP100 dry non-abrasive head cleaner every 20 hours or so. I tune the JVC to one of the channels, not I-Link, when playing back a tape (for whatever reason one day I discovered this alleviated the digital glitches that I was getting playing back a pre-recorded D-Theater tape). I have plenty of room for air ventilation around both the JVC and 165 so they never get more than a tad warm at most. I also have both the JVC and 165 on a set of Symposium Rollerblocks as a tweak - but this gives the benefit of a bit more air underneath the units for convection cooling. So far I'm ok.

I've had my JVC since late August, and my use has been especially a lot in the past month since I got my 165 for recording HD/digital OTA on Nov. 6th!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve in your particular setup, if you start to get problems we can almost 100% conclude that all the units are bad.

For both of you Do rewind and FF alot of your tapes? Also what recording media are you using?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There's no option for me in that poll. I've only had mine since the end of August (3 mo. +) but I must have logged at least 300 hours since then. I have seen no problems yet. I use only Fuji H471S SVHS tapes, and I do RW and FF quite a bit. I have not cleaned the heads yet either.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
Steve in your particular setup, if you start to get problems we can almost 100% conclude that all the units are bad.

For both of you Do rewind and FF alot of your tapes? Also what recording media are you using?
Why can we conclude that? There are more people than Steve who have fully functioning units at this time. In fact, according to this poll there are a number of people who have logged some significant hours without problems. It may be a ticking time-bomb, but I don't think the future of the JVC deck rests on what happens with Steve's deck.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Victor,

I would select the 300+ hrs option, ignoring the amount of time you have owned the unit. I think the mileage on the unit is more important than the amount of time you have owned it.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I've had no problems with mine. I only either play D-Theater tapes on it, or use it for taping with high quality D-VHS specific tapes. I've never played any old or non-D-VHS tapes in it. I've cleaned it a couple times.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Why can we conclude that? There are more people than Steve who have fully functioning units at this time. In fact, according to this poll there are a number of people who have logged some significant hours without problems. It may be a ticking time-bomb, but I don't think the future of the JVC deck rests on what happens with Steve's deck.
Sorry to say I agree with XFactor. I am just giving my so far so good experience with my JVC D-VHS VCR. And I'll keep on prayin', too!

I mostly use an external rewinder, although I still do some with the JVC on occassion. I probably have maybe 200 hours or so total on my JVC.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only concluded that because I know Steve takes most precautions. I could probably poll how many of us use Symposium Rollerblocks and I'd be suprised if there were many other than Steve.

I do not think Steve is above us, but I just think with all the steps he takes to ensure his equipment performs at its peak conditions makes me have a lot more faith in that if he does have problems that its not his fault.

Now I'm saying its anyones fault that has problems I think what I'm saying is Steve's unit is no doubt cared for and properly ventilated (ie the temperature factore might be eliminated in Steve's equation Thus if he has problems its probably not temperature related.

Also compared to Steve I am a slob with my equipment no transports, rollerblocks etc.. , I really wander if that makes the difference or if temperature plays a bigger part in the problem machines (ie do people have this machine stacked in an equipment rack that tends to get hot?)

I just do not know. But it is safe to assume that Steve's setup is optimal. Thats it!

Anyway Vic yeh I'd vote for the hours time frame really doesn't hold to much relevance

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
I do not think Steve is above us, but I just think with all the steps he takes to ensure his equipment performs at its peak conditions makes me have a lot more faith in that if he does have problems that its not his fault.
My unit lasted less than 50 hours of use. I did not abuse or misuse the VCR in anyway. Personally I didn't think it really go that hot and internally it looked clean.

If I need roller blocks, liquid cooled heatsinks, need to unplug every day for a reset, play a Maxell or JVC cleaning tape every 20hours, swear off SVHS tape use and throw them away out of pure fear, never fast forward or rewind, and on and on then the product is just plain broke.

Unfortunately, DVD-R as an alternative has it's own problems but I don't think I will be able to sleep easy at night if I don't have one to back up my stuff. This is the reality that some of us are living with.

I really hope JVC addresses the issues for those of us with problem units.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
I use only Fuji H471S SVHS tapes, and I do RW and FF quite a bit. I have not cleaned the heads yet either.
Vick,

How does this tape compare to the Fuji Pro SVHS tape. I and a few others are using new virgin stock along with DF300's and I believe you are using used Fuji tapes.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does it really matter what SVHS you use? IS the thickness of the tape a problem in general or is the thickness a problem during FF, RW rubbing against the pinch roller.

I ask because I have Maxell and JVc SVHS stock that are unopened. I'd like to use them but want to take precautions before I do so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.