Votes: 17 9.1%
  • 5 years or more

Votes: 47 25.1%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliff's G90 thread got me to thinking about how some people change PJs like underwear. Not at all dissin' Cliff or anyone else (hey, whatever makes you happy), I'm just curious how long AVS CRT forum members tend to keep their PJs. This is not for digital guys as we already know buying a new PJ is an annual event.

Me, I've had my G70 for over 3 years with no plans to change in the near or distant future.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I think about it more, I've had my PJ almost 4 years. I voted wrong my own poll!

Someone that's had their PJ 3 years vote 4 years to correct my error.

·
Registered
192 Posts
G90. Bought it July 2006 and have put less than 100 hours on it (work and family keep getting in the way of what's really important
).

For the poll, I voted "6 months or less", but I think you should add one more category: more than 6 months, but less than one year. Just my $0.02.

James

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't change the options. They're locked.

This will be an interesting poll, but it won't serve the purpose I intended. It will just show how long members have owned their current PJ. It will not indicate how often they change PJs, if at all. I'll do another poll in a couple of days.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
I've had my G70 for a little over a year (I think.)

I started with a Sony 1271 in 2000 then went through a Air coupled Marquee 8500 phase and bought my G70 near X-Mass 2005 if I remember correctly.

Of course,.. I intend to keep it forever, if I live that long.

I'm currently feeding it lots of Blu Ray's via PS3.

-Brian

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
9500LC for about 9 months, so I put down a year. It's been rock solid, switched from 720p to 1080p about 6 months ago. Did a decent setup on it about 3 months ago and improved the focus about 20% (subjectively speaking).

It's the rest of the room that needs finishing..

Frankly as picky as I can be about pictures, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I was forced to downgrade to a 7" EM set or even a Sony 1031. I simply don't have the time to put a lot of hours in the HT room, maybe 100 hours a year, and 1/2 of those projector hours I'm asleep...

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Let's see... I started out on the forum with an NEC 6PG xtra, from there I went to a Marquee 9500 a little over a year later, and have had it since then.

I now have an 8500 Ultra on the ceiling in the theater. But also own a Dwin HD700, Marquee 8500, Marquee 8000. Barco 909 (just got it), and still have the Marquee 9500 and NEC 6PG Xtra.

And in twenty years, I'll be adding a digital to the list..

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Had my first Barco Data for a little over a year, of which it was actually dialed in and working the last 6 months or so. Will be 3 years at Easter for my 980 Ultra - until I find another deal like yours within 3 or 4 hours of nowhere, it'll probably keep me a while. (I don't count Cliffy's deal, since I figured there was a good chance he'd change his mind.
)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Bought a PG9 Xtra about 3 yrs ago. It arrived trashed (thanks to the Unionized Projector Smashers and an idiot seller) so I sold it to Curt and got my XG852. I've had that for over 2.5 yrs but it came down off the ceiling last month. Right now there's a Dwin HD700 on the ceiling but I'm grooming an 8500 for the position.

So I'm either 3 years or 1 month (or zero!), depending on the projector...
Guess I'll say 3 years.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I seem to have an ancient unit compared to most of you guys... The Dwin HD-700 I bought around 2001 is still hanging from my ceiling and is displaying a great image. It will be replaced in a couple of months though.

-- Mehdi

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots more 5 years and over than I expected. Give me a year and 4 months and I'll be part of your group.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I also read Cliff's post. I talked to him once about 6 months ago when he had a G70. I was trying to sell him my NEC 10PG. It was before I had my theater built and thought I could find another 10PG before it was finished. I'm so glad I didn't sell it. Recently however, I have had some troubles the last 2 weeks, F8 error and trying to get it fixed now. I thought about fixing it and selling it, but something in the back of my mind said, "you have waited a long time to get a cinemascope theater built, now you want to throw it all away in place of a digital????" "Snap out of it!!" I'll have to be patient and wait for Doug to come down and fix it. Until then, I am finding things in the yard to work on to pass the time. I would like to get another 2 years out of the CRT, besides the tubes are still nines!!! Maybe that will be around the time Cliff will be dumping his G90's.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Over three to four years nothing has lasted much over 6 months. Not that they died or anything, actually I have never had a problem happen to any of them.

Why I changed so often is a mystery even to myself.

Troy

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.