AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sharp 10k will arrive today. It's pretty cold outside. The on-line manual says the operating temp is from 41 degrees to 95 degrees. How long should I wait to turn on my projector? My room is not complete yet, so I'm going to make sure everything works at a Buddy's house tonight where he has a screen up.

Also, any DVD suggestions to compare it to a HS10? We were going to try Star Wars, Finding Nemo, Armageddon. Any others?

Thanks,

mikebaby

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Be sure to calibrate both projectors to the room before comparing them and use the same source and connection.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
What you should be most worried about is condensing water onto the optics and electronics by bringing it in from the cold into the hot, moist air. The safest option is to let it reach room temperature (30 minutes? 1 Hr?) before turining it on.

There's not a huge amount of mass, so it shouldn't take too long to reach room temperature. By the time you run cables, get everything setup and run a few demos on your friends pj first, you should be fine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well everything worked fine. We waiting about 30 mins. I was surprised at how large it is. Much bigger than his HS10. I did notice motion artifacts, but I assume (hope) those will go away when I calibrate it.

mikebaby

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mike,

The only artifacts I've noticed so far were on a video source that I was watching on the film setting. Switching over to 3d corrected it. When did the artifacts occur?

I tried to post a screen shot (not of the video source) in my gallery but it was a pretty lame first attempt. I'm wild about the projector though. It's much smaller than my last pj, but it was several years old.

Gary

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first impressions were WOW. We watched the beginning of Finding Armageddon on an HS10, then on mine. Mine was much more detailed, whereas the HS10 was more of a plain black sky, the 10k you could see space clouds, and more stars. I could also see screen door on his from over 1.5 widths away from the screen (106") but I had to get to about 1 screen width away from the screen on the 10k. It isn't as bright as the HS10, but it was still plenty bright enough. I think his brightness was up too much for my taste.

I can't wait to get my theater complete, so I can mount it and start playing with it.

The one thing I was shocked about was the sheer size of the unit. That was another WOW as it's huge.

mikebaby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.