AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take to burn a complete DVD-R or DVD+R disc using 1X, 2X (2.4X), or 4X.

I'm about to plunk down the cash for DVD Writer and want to know how much time can I save in the future when the cost of 2-4X speed media comes down.

Debating over Panasonic D321 , Pioneer A04 and A05 at this point. Pricing for the drives are $200, $250 and $300 shipped including software.

Also, is it true that one can reliably burn 1X media at 2X speed using the A04?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
1x = 1 hour

2x = 35 minutes

4x = 18 minutes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Also, is it true that one can reliably burn 1X media at 2X speed using the A04?
Yep, that's what I've been doing for a little while now, and so far everything has been working well. I'm actually using a hacked firmware that allows you to use any 1x media at 2x. I think one of the official firwares allowed Ritek 1x media at 2x, but I forget which one that was, would have to take a look.

It really just all depends on the quality of media, and recently, the cheaper stuff has been getting a lot better. I'm using some no name brand DVD-R's at .69 a disc, and I think you can get the better quality Ritek's for around .83.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Masao,

Let me know which Ritek's work well and where I can buy them. 1 hour at 1X is just too long. Also, if you find the firmware (official Pioneer fw) that allows this, please let me know. Who did the haced version and how many are using it? I assume you can easily reflash to the official fw w/out a problem if one decides.

Also, what do you think of the A05 vs the A04. 4x burn time would be even more attractive 6 months from now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Take a look here, a great write up on all the different firmwares:
http://www.dvd-recordable.net/module...wcontent&id=33

Here's a link to a forum dealing mainly with firmware, I think all the hacked versions originated from here too. Lots of good information there:
http://forum.firmware-flash.com/viewforum.php?f=2

As for the media, these are what I've been using:
http://store.yahoo.com/supermediasto...lankmedia.html
http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/P-DVDR...PR100free.html

As for how many people are using the hacked firmware, hard to say, but I think a fair amount of people are. If you're comfortable with flashing the firmware, it shouldn't really be a problem switching between different versions. I've never had a problem with the hacked version I've been using, so I haven't been changing the firmware a lot though.

I just bought a 100 pack of those cheap DVD-R's, and out of the 50 I've used so far, I think 3 have been bad. The Ritek's are defiantly a better disc, with a much darker dye, and at $83 for a 100 pack, it's still pretty cheap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stick with the official 1.31 firmware if you have a Pioneer DVR-A04. It supports the Ritek 2X DVD-R (silver top and dark purple bottom). Using the hacked firmware with the older 1X cheap media like the Ritek white top and light purple usually doesn't work for most people.

I bought a 100 pack of the silver/dark purple discs and haven't had any trouble burning thus far (about 30 discs). You can get them at supermediastore.com or meritline.com

A couple of my DVD-ROM drives (Toshiba and Nec) seem to have a little trouble reading the TOC of the 2X silver/dark purple discs, but it seems to be intermittent and I haven't quite figured it out yet. Often just ejecting the tray and putting it back in seems to resolve the issue.

-=>Sheky

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Have you thought about the Sony DRU-500A?
Yes, I have. It's no longer on the shelves and it's well over $300 :(

The A04 for $250 is looking good. What do you guys think of the software that comes with the retail DVR-A04:

Sonic MyDVD Video Suite

Veritas RecordNow DX

Veritas DLA/StorageGuard

CyberLink PowerDVD XP is definitely a plus!

Is Nero 5.5 better or worse?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the new Sony DRU500 for about a month now, it is a excellent unit. However in DVD+ mode it is really picky on the media that you feed it. I've burnt quite a few coasters. It is working like a charm, now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.