AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can sit and watch the Dish demo channel for an hour. I am just stunned by the quality of HDTV. I would really like to take equivalent video of my kids. How long until we have HDTV quality camcorders under $3000.00. I think I would be willing to pay $3000 as long as it is small.

Using Moores law and history I would estimate 3-6 years. What do others think? What about tape technology to record so much data? At just 1.5 MB's a second we are talking about a lot of space.

-Jym-

-Jym-

·
Registered
887 Posts
The MiniDV/DV format could handle the data already and the 169time mods allow folks to record HD today on miniDV decks/camcorders. However, they are only recording the already compressed MPEG-2 bitstream and there's a major issue with on-the-fly MPEG-2 encoding chip costs. The imaging devices are already there - look at the cost of a 2MP digital camera these days and some of the miniDV camcorders already have >1MP imagers to give reasonable stills. I don't think it's a far away as you think before HD camcorders are out there but your $3000 pricepoint may take a while longer... I'd be in line right with you!

Andy

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I read in EE Times a few weeks ago that Mitsubishi just announced a one chip HD encoding solution. Possibly HDTV camcorders for consumers? I hope.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
MiniDV has nowhere near the resolution, and somewhat less latitude than current professional (and very expensive) HD cameras. It's hard to believe that HD technology won't trickle down to consumer level fairly quickly -- a huge limiter of it catching on at the moment is the lack of HD display in households. Until HDTV's reach critical mass, it's hard to see why someone would come out with a consumer HDTV camcorder, even if they could.

·
Registered
887 Posts
rblnr - I think you missed my point. The bitstream being recorded on a MiniDV tape has more bits per second than the current ATSC mpeg2 bitstream - that's a comination of the fact that the miniDV signal being encoded is lower resolution (as you know) and it's not compressed nearly as much as the HD signal. The MiniDV tape stores bits, just like a hard drive and already has the capacity to store HD bitstreams at a sufficent rate. When it's played back it goes through the HD mpeg2 decoder and comes out as HD...

Andy

·
Registered
887 Posts
Proufo, There is such a beast - Century Optics makes them for several camcorders - do a search for DS-1609 at B&H's website! ( = $750!!!)

Andy

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Quote:
proufo wrote:

I wonder why nobody has made an optical piece to be put in front of a regular camcorder in order to do widescreen movies.
Two companies make just such add-on optical devices...

Century Precision Optics

OpTex

This is also a great resource on the topic...

Shooting in Widescreen DV

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any updates on this hdtv camcorder availability to the general public. Are there add ons that you can buy (lens) that can make your dv camcoder produce hdtv quality picture?

DAK

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You cannot compare HDTV Bitrate to DV bitrate. The bitrate at which mpeg2 would have to be encoded on a dv cam for consumer use would have to be much higher then the standard HDTV Stream for many reasons. One is that it isnt high enough. With all the panning and zooming home users and bad lighting, there woudl be pixilization everywhere. Also did you ever think about editing? Every time youedit you have to recomress and if you start with a low bitrate to begin with compression artifacts would show up right away. You would have to start with a much higher bitrate to have it be feasable for home users.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AJSJones
the 169time mods allow folks to record HD today on miniDV decks/camcorders.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Thanks dude, I needed a good laugh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about recording MPEG2 onto DVD-RAM, RW, +RW, ... there are camcorders on the market now that use this technology instead of DV. Just not HD. I believe recording onto tapes is going to be dead in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.