AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already got a DTC-100 for watching HD DirecTV, and its great, but I am now adding a second HD monitor, and rather than buy a new box now, I'd rather wait until the next-generation boxes arrive with the digital outputs for copy protected material.

So the big question is - does anyone have an estimate of when these new boxes will start to arrive? It seems we're starting to see TVs capable of connecting to them, so the chicken has arrived, now we just need the egg. Have any even been official announced?

Another good reason to wait - it seems - is to figure out what's going to happen with DirecTV itself. If Dish actually does buy it up, the rumor seems to be moving the subscribers toward the Dish hardware rather than vice-versa..

(Please no flames about supporting 5C or whatnot - as I said I already have an analog-only setup with a Mitsu and DTC100, so I've done my part for the cause)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
How long until Sat HDTV with digital outs?
Probably when hell freezes over... and thaws out. (If you're not a religious person, most believe this will take a long time.)

Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Sorry but you are wrong. Copy protection is being pushed heavily and since new HD Recorders are coming out with firewire I would be there will be sat recievers and tv's with digital outs and ins within the next year and for sure in the next 2 years. Again none will be here immediately though.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The Echostar HDPVR-921 is due out in 2002. I have heard it will have component, IEEE1394 (Firewire) and DVI outputs. However, the exact specifications are not final at this time.

------------------

Mike aka Hot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.