AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any sort of idea (I'll accept unsubstantiated rumour at this point!) how long DTV will support this unit?

I love the unit, and will probably hang with it until the end, but I'm just curious to know if DTV has made any sort of a statement on this.

Guiness

·
Registered
354 Posts
AFAIK, there has been no official statement from DTV on useful life UTV. Mention has been in the past that they will continue to send the 3.7 upgrades down until 12/23/03.

That is, unfortunately, little over 3 months away now.

It was not an official statement from DTV but several calls to CSRs came up with the same date. ???significance???:confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Look how long DISH Network is keeping the DishPlayer around (and that doesn't even work too well!!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't really see them dropping UTV entirely so you should always be able to use it (since they still make money off of it and it costs them absolutely nothing to keep it going, why would they kill it) but I don't really see them offering any upgrades. The only thing I could see would be another 'security' related upgrade (which really doesn't mean much to the user) and with that maybe a few bug fixes.

Just my 2cents,

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
FYI, I wrote DTV via the webform on the DirecTV web site last night and asked them for their position on the longevity of UTV and what they will do (receiver wise) once they stop supporting UTV as a PVR. I will post the answer I receive so that we can all have a good laugh.

·
Registered
17,832 Posts
Get the opener in preparation for a canned response regarding the features and usefulness of UTV - and for techical issues, please contact Microsoft, RCA or Sony. Also, prepare for the all-important, "DirecTV also offers a Digital Recorder powered by TiVo, etc. etc. To order, call 1-800-DirecTV today!"

We'll see how close I am on that one. ;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I've kind of always had the impression that any Receiver with a DSS (back in the DTV and USSB days) or DTV logo would be "supported" by the Service now known as DirecTV...

If you've been with DTV since they went online (almost 10 years now?)... you'd probably still be able to use your original receiver... (with a current access card of course)

PVR/DVRs are hard to figure when it comes to support because they may have a shorter "shelf life" then say a typical unit... A lot more moving parts and heat sensitive areas to deal with... (not to mention "complex software" and hidden bugs)

micheldb makes a good point that DTV will probably not "drop" the service (IT MAKES MONEY) it will just become less well known... You might have to deal with clueless CR phone support (!!!) and ask for a UTV or Tivo consultant... (Kind of like my Mom's Phone service plan which was "Grandfathered" in... and was eventually discontinued many years later.)

There may always be the time when DTV will upgrade the system and old units will be disconnected/unuseable... So the day your 1996 model Sony B2 DSS receiver (My first DSS unit) no longer works on DTV's network watch out UTV your number is coming...

Later,

·
Registered
83 Posts
As previously promised, here is the response that I received from DTV about UTV. I also included the question.

Question:

Subject: Ultimate TV

Details: I am a subscriber and I have 2 Ultimate TV (UTV) receivers. UTV

receivers are no longer manufactured. I would like to find out the

official position of DirecTV on the following.

How long I will be able to use my UTV units as a PVR? What (if anything)

will DirecTV do to replace my equipment with a DirecTivo once you no

longer support the UTV as a PVR?

Answer:

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your inquiry. As you know, DIRECTV makes changes and

additions to our programming and services from time to time. However, it

is a DIRECTV policy not to discuss upcoming announcements, and at this

time we have no official announcement beyond what we have already

communicated to the public. We invite you to visit the News Releases

section of our web site at
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/Headlines.jsp for the latest

announcements.